Apple to Hold "Special Event" September 1st

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Revolution [9], Aug 25, 2010.

Aug 25, 2010
  1. Revolution [9]
    OP

Member Revolution [9] GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

Get ready to lay your eyes on Apple’s latest and greatest — including, perhaps, a new iPod Touch and a $99 Apple TV — next week, with Apple sending out guitar-decorated invites (hint, hint) for a September 1 "special event."

The typically cryptic invitation (Engadget got its hands on one of them) doesn’t give away much in terms of detail, beyond the fact that the event will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. But the guitar with an Apple logo carved in the middle leaves little doubt that we’ll be seeing a slew of music-focused announcements.

Among the expected revelations: a new iPod Touch with dual cameras, FaceTime video chat, a higher-resolution display (hopefully the same "Retina Display" as on the new iPhone 4), and a souped-up A4 processor.

There’s also been speculation that we might get an iPod — either a Nano or a Shuffle — with a tiny,1.7-inch touchscreen, and maybe even a 7-inch iPad (although I’m betting we won’t see any new iPads until later this year or early next).

Last but not least, there’s heavy buzz about a revamped, pared down Apple TV, which (rumor has it) could run on a custom version of the iPhone OS, boast support for apps (like, hopefully, Netflix and Hulu Plus), pack in a small, 16GB flash-memory hard drive, and (most importantly) come with a $99 price tag.

A flurry of new rumors also point to 99-cent TV show rentals, which you could stream over the new Apple TV, the iPad, or (maybe) the iPhone. And let’s not forget the perennial Beatles-coming-to-iTunes rumors (although Yoko Ono recently warned us not to "hold [our] breath").

Got any predictions for Apple’s event next week? Fire away below.[/p]

[​IMG]Source

Interesting to see what may be in the iPod touch this year since last year's did not have a camera.

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Hmm. If it's a new Apple TV, I'll be interested.

3. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    I heard somewhere that the new Apple TV will be renamed to the iTV, to fit with the other iOS devices

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Apple unplugged.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    GREAT Apple, that new iPod Touch I got 2 months ago? Now obsolete.

That's what I hate about Apple products. They're not cheap, and they don't stay in the "mainstream" for long. Shit.

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    That's why you read this.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Under iPod Touch it says, "Don't Buy - Updates soon".

7. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

it's not obsolete. it's not like it all of a sudden stops working or self destructs. i still have the first gen video ipod and haven't felt the need to upgrade.

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    You should look up what words mean before you use them.

Also, Apple hosts their iPod event on the same month every year. It's your own fault for buying it two months prior.

9. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

New iPod touch seems interesting, but its probably the same as the iPhone 4 except for the phone part.

10. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    Apple's extremely predictable in their cycles. If you did any research, you'd notice an ongoing trend going back more than just a few years. That involves googling "new ipod."
    Every year they host their media-related launch event around the month of September.

The device will most likely sport a retina display, front facing camera (maybe back, probably no flash), and a microphone. Under the hood, I predict an A4 chip identical to the latest iPhone and the same 512 MB of RAM. I'm also thinking they will do away with the 8GB model and adorn the 16GB iPod with the desirable $200 tag.
    Big question mark on the design; it may keep the signature tapered chrome backing or go for the refined industrial iPhone 4 look, but that design will look demented on such a thin device. I'm guessing they'll keep the design but do away with the chrome rims, and perhaps reverting back to the flat back of the iPod Touch 1st generation.

EDIT: Errors.
    And I guess all I did in my speculation is reword the opening post, sorry.