Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
From The Business Insider, March 2, 2010:

Apple today filed a lawsuit against mobile devices maker HTC. The suit claims infringement of 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture, and hardware.

In the release, Steve Jobs says, "We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it...We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Taiwan-based HTC was the first company to manufacture a cell phone based on Google's Android operating system, which has emerged as a significant competitor to the iPhone, AP reports. It's also making the Nexus One phone that Google is selling directly to consumers.

It looks like the Nexus One, and other HTC phones, may have hit too close to home for Steve Jobs.

Earlier, we supposed that Apple's multi-touch user interface could be the basis for the lawsuit. But after examining the complaint, it appears that Apple is NOT suing over multitouch, but rather a bunch of other software. (When Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone, he touted its multitouch screen, then said, "And boy, have we patented it.")

Meanwhile, Apple is already tied up in a patent lawsuit with Nokia, claiming Nokia is stealing Apple technology. Nokia says Apple is stealing its technology. Kodak is also suing Apple claiming technology theft.

Basically, Apple's patent lawyers are going to be busy for the next year or so.
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/apple...K,EK,T,XLK,QQQQ

I never expected this to happen. Is Apple just being too greedy or do they have a legitimate basis to their claims?
unsure.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
every1 is suing apple and their suing every1
laugh.gif

you watch they'll sue samsung next cos their new phone is pretty much an iphone. it's got the touchscreen, motion controls and you can even download apps for it. i saw an ad for it the other day and i thought to myself wait till apple sees this
rofl2.gif

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
apple suing every1
laugh.gif

you watch they'll sue samsung next cos their new phone is pretty much an iphone. it's got the touchscreen, motion controls and you can even download apps for it. i saw an ad for it the other day and i thought to myself wait till apple sees this
rofl2.gif
fixed

GO FUCKING DIE APPLE! I hate patents .... so much corrupt crap comes from it saying that you own this and that and this. You get the point.
Seriously they are even suing over a sliding your finger to unlock stuff. >.>

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-v...tent-breakdown/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-s...in-htc-lawsuit/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-s...iphone-patents/
Next thing we know, apple patents the breathing functions of human beings, then we're able to be sued for that. :\
Not caring for apple this time, so hope they lose; they've already got billions of dollars, so greed is a factor.

Suing over gimmicks is fail, and they need a George Foreman Grill to the Head.
*hi-5's BoxShot*

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@OMFG Explain please?

@Omega_2 *hi-5s back* How about we just wipe them off this planet?
biggrin.gif

Anyways I laugh so hard at this patent: Patent #5,455,599: Object-Oriented Graphic System
Does this mean just making a GUI and I break it?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't see why everyone hates Apple for this. Patents are there so other companies don't steal what you have developed. Now Apple wants to make use of this, but according to you they can't because they already made a lot of money using the iPhone? That doesn't make any sense (to me, at least).

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
apple are just stepping into the gray line where its unsure of when you are meant to sue or not. kinda like when you get 2 similar characters in a game, same colour scheme for the design, same mannerisms except the personality of the characters are different.

usually you wouldn't, but apple went ahead and did.

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
I don't see why everyone hates Apple for this. Patents are there so other companies don't steal what you have developed. Now Apple wants to make use of this, but according to you they can't because they already made a lot of money using the iPhone? That doesn't make any sense (to me, at least).
So how about a patent on making GUIs? How about a patent saying you touch this and it unlocks something? These were used before but probably wasn't patented since why would we as it pretty much can be used for anything and by anyone.

Patents are idiotic as it limits what others can do since they might get sued, etc.
I'm also pretty sure they bought some of these patents when they bought out some companies.
I don't see how you get patents on software based things anyways. >.>

*sigh* Just found out that Apple is suing HTC for a proximity sensor and Apple got sued for that by Nokia. Oh the irony. (could have read this wrong if this is wrong)

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
apple are 2nd to m$ when it comes to being greedy, heartless c**ts! fuck help us if they ever decide to move into consoles
smileipb2.png
According to them they have with their iCrap on their iPoops! >.> Well at least handhelds, (I still don't consider them handhelds and probably never will)

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I get that apple makes ok products, I don't like how their latest batch of media devices have so much non user friendly features to them(DRM being one) used to be able to pull music from an ipod to pc, and transfer videos from outside of failtunes, now you can't even do that, and if you have anything on there from outside of failtunes, it'll want to wipe the unit before it'll let you sync some crap to it, most of which was on there in the first place.

Yes, it looks nice. Yes, it works. Yes, it's pricey. Yes, the backing won't last the month. But no, you can't do a damn thing to make it 'yours', other than odd accessories. Engraved it? Well you just voided your warranty my friend, and apple won't help you.

@BoxShot go for it
biggrin.gif

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Omega_2 said:
I get that apple makes ok products, I don't like how their latest batch of media devices have so much non user friendly features to them(DRM being one) used to be able to pull music from an ipod to pc, and transfer videos from outside of failtunes, now you can't even do that, and if you have anything on there from outside of failtunes, it'll want to wipe the unit before it'll let you sync some crap to it, most of which was on there in the first place.

Yes, it looks nice. Yes, it works. Yes, it's pricey. Yes, the backing won't last the month. But no, you can't do a damn thing to make it 'yours', other than odd accessories. Engraved it? Well you just voided your warranty my friend, and apple won't help you.

@BoxShot go for it
biggrin.gif
+1
tongue.gif
It definately is locked very well and how is syncing even friendly at all? Drag & drop ftw! I would take them off the world if I had resources but if anyone found it was me I would be staying under a rock.
ph34r.gif

Off to bed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy...