Apple rejects Steam Link iOS app from App Store

IMG_8182.JPG

If you were looking forward to the upcoming Steam Link app, and you own an Apple phone or tablet, you won't be able to use it, as Apple has denied the app from being on iOS devices. This change of heart comes after the company had originally approved the Steam Link app on May 7. Valve had made their official announcement, expecting nothing to go wrong. Near the time of launch for the app, Apple had quickly changed their decision, citing that the they had "business conflicts" with it that hadn't been originally discovered during the approval process, causing the app to lose certification and not be allowed on the digital storefront.

Valve has appealed the decision, stating that they are disappointed with Apple, and that they hope the company changes their mind. The phrase "business conflicts" hasn't been elaborated on, but it's assumed that Apple took issue with the app's ability to stream PC games to a phone or tablet, which would potentially cause Apple to lose sales on the mobile front. Steam Link is currently available for all Android devices.

:arrow: Source

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Tried with Android+Switch Pro Controller. Streaming was perfect, controls were laggy. Although the latter could be for a number of reasons.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I almost feel sorry for the apple fanboys. Almost... But they chose their closed ecosystem, so they can deal with it.
I'll never understand why people should be penalized for their choice in system.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Release outside of the App Store, then?

And before you ask, yes, it is possible. There are ways of making a self-published app that can be installed on unjailbroken devices.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol, now they will certainly lose even more sales & maybe customers, this all thanks to their own stupidity.

Meanwhile all other companies that have android devices with the ability to support this app will earn more, since now people will go get an "cheap" android phone/tablet, instead of those expensive Apple devices. It's sure a great way to help your other competitors & save some people from spending a lot of money I guess...

Good job Apple on preventing yourself of losing money/sales! (sarcasm)

Luckily I don't have any Apple device & I don't care about them either, so i'm not affected by this.xD I do feel a bit sorry for those Apple customers etc. though.

Last edited by Angely,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could say I was surprised. The rise of apple in the past 10 years is extremely unsettling for anyone interested in open ecosystems.

Basic people with your uggs, iphones and starbuck's frappuccinos please stop ruining this world.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I almost feel sorry for the apple fanboys. Almost... But they chose their closed ecosystem, so they can deal with it.

I used to like apple for their solid system but the lack of customization made me give in to android. My only apple device was the 5S which eventually got replaced once I found out my note 5 was not compatible with nxloader.
It's really a shame that they are still not willing to change.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome