cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

One of the first batch of Apple personal computers has sold at auction in London for £133,250 ($210,000).

The Apple I came with its original packaging and a signed sales letter from Apple co-founder and current chief executive Steve Jobs.

The computer, one of only 200 of the model ever made, originally sold for $666.66 when it was introduced in 1976.

It was bought over the phone at Christie's by Italian businessman and private collector Marco Boglione.

Francesco Boglione, who was at the auction house on Tuesday, said his brother had bid for the piece of technology history "because he loves computers".

Another of Apple's co-founders, Steve Wozniak, who was also present and agreed to add an autographed letter to the lot, said: "I'm very delighted for the gentleman who purchased it."[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

I knew Apple kit doesn't give much bang for buck but...

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Rydian said:
The first batches were hand-made in one of their garages (forgot which Steve), so this isn't surprising as it is a historical piece.
it was woz's iirc (he's the one that built them, i assume he'd have built them at home)

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mercluke said:
Rydian said:
The first batches were hand-made in one of their garages (forgot which Steve), so this isn't surprising as it is a historical piece.
it was woz's iirc (he's the one that built them, i assume he'd have built them at home)

It was Woz's. Woz designed the I and II on his own. Steve wasn't (maybe still isn't, I don't know) interested in the actual electronics side of things. I think the major thing he brought to Apple was the business sense (ie how to be a complete bastard) and an obsession with calligraphy.

Strange to see where they've ended up from where they started though. From selling Blue Boxes so people could explore, to making locked down as hell everything.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
This is just sick! I have yet to find it even remotly worth it to go with any Apple product. But I guess everyone can't have the same opinion since everyone has got an iPhone or iPod.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wohoo said:
This is just sick! I have yet to find it even remotly worth it to go with any Apple product. But I guess everyone can't have the same opinion since everyone has got an iPhone or iPod.

Things where different way back when. Most of the time if you wanted a computer you where either a big company or had to make it yourself. Very high barrier for entry. Admittedly a lot of fun though. A lot of people cut there teeth on kits based around the 6502 or a Zilog chip.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
rikardo03 said:
Bladexdsl said:
man peeps just love to waste $ whether it be on some 100 year old wooden chair, marble bench tops and bath tubs or this BS
they just don't know what to do with their money...
yeah waste it! i've always found these type of antiques and how they are valued is absurd same goes with art.
laugh.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
rikardo03 said:
Bladexdsl said:
man peeps just love to waste $ whether it be on some 100 year old wooden chair, marble bench tops and bath tubs or this BS
they just don't know what to do with their money...
yeah waste it! i've always found these type of antiques and how they are valued is absurd same goes with art.
laugh.gif

They are a piece of history. Any computer fanatic would love getting their hands on this. It's the first Apple computer and it's probably an interesting piece of technology to look at and work on.

I mean I'm sure you waste money on video games, which is just a past time. Maybe people find collecting art or old computers is a past time. Expensive, maybe, but if they have the cash, then why not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey