Apple, EU, and USB-C

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the one hand, I like that Apple is finally being made to stop using Lightning and move to a more universal character part.
On the other hand, I dislike the EU and the massive overreach that it really is. The fact that the EU's decisions affect everyone outside the EU is something I wish would stop happening.
Even without the butterfly farting and causing a hurricane concept does any decision from a country/super group thereof not impact others?
Or are you aiming for some kind of benign/bottom up only approach? Deciding to have low labour regs, dubious environmental laws and otherwise cheap cost of living means semi skilled (and probably most skilled) manufacturing goes out of one place and into another, along with the middle class of the former about 20 years later.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my doubt's that Apple will go through with this without some means of making it a problem for everyone in the end. Either they will go full pants on head with making the device portless and wireless charging only or they will use a version of USB-C that has weird proprietary standards that make it so you would have to buy Apple certified USB-C cables to use with their devices or risk having your phone turn into a fireball.

There are already problems with standards and USB-C as it is.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I have my doubt's that Apple will go through with this without some means of making it a problem for everyone in the end. Either they will go full pants on head with making the device portless and wireless charging only or they will use a version of USB-C that has weird proprietary standards that make it so you would have to buy Apple certified USB-C cables to use with their devices or risk having your phone turn into a fireball.

There are already problems with standards and USB-C as it is.
Nintendo is already doing something like that with the Switch, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is already doing something like that with the Switch, so I wouldn't be surprised.
It's been an issue with a lot of companies for awhile now, this article here even goes into detail over it: The State of USB-C in 2021: Why it's still a mess

Basically, you can push everyone to accept a new universal shaped plug, but that does not mean they all have to work the same and be functionally equal. We might have replaced several different shaped cables and plugs with USB-C, but in turn now we have to have several different types of USB-C to perform certain actions as the concept of a "Jack of all trades" USB concept is long gone now. We only gave ourselves a headache over this shit.

Also, lets not also forget that these USB-C cables need inner workings to actually do their job. An improper USB-C without the proper internals to regulate and operate as intended could just outright blow up on you or your device. So now certification has to exist for these, and most of them either do not go through this process and as a result can be cheap and dangerous/damaging to your hardware, or could be unreasonably expensive because they are certified to work as intended.

The whole concept of what C has become is a nightmare for tech enthusiasts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4