Apparently Zelda runs smoother in handheld mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by WiiUBricker, Mar 3, 2017.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso

It has been revealed that the Switch gains a not insignificant performance boost when it's connected with the Switch dock. So naturally one would assume that games run better when the Switch is docked. Apparently that is not the whole truth of it all, as eurogamer's Digital Foundry discovered that, at least, Zelda BotW runs smoother in portable mode. According to them, Zelda - although having better texture quality in docked mode - suffers from minor stuttering if the Switch is docked. Basically they speculate that due the internal resolution gain from 720p to 900p when docked, issues with CPU clockspeeds and memory bandwith occur. Their explanation is reproduced below:

While this all sounds rather minor, it still does leave a slightly bad taste of doubt in the mouth about the Switch's processing power.

:arrow: Source

Gameboyandwatch likes this.
  2. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    This is pretty interesting, the bottleneck on the switch is speculated to be the bandwidth, the docket mode doesn't give enough horsepower to render a game from 720p to 1080p on a game like botw, it could make sense to sell only the switch on a different hardware revision that improves battery life and others mobile aspects because the undocked experience won't be compromised

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    but above he said 900p ?

4. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    Yeah, this is "no news", soem already posted it on the forum also :), it was known ^^.

Yes BOTW is 900p, not 1080p.

5. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    Yes, 900p is the native resolution of Zelda on the switch

6. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Stop being self-centered please. Just because it's not news to you, doesn't mean it's not news to others.

7. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    "to me"

Stop being offended wtf... it's at least no news for the 300 000 people who watched this vid + all the other vids posted about that, just a statement, i'm not attacking OP or anything wow...
    Im just saying that it was already posted on GBAtemp and it was "knew", thats all.

8. g00s3y

g00s3y GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Cape Coral, FL
    Maybe it's the 120hz playing tricks, but I definitely feel it plays smoother on the tv than in handheld mode. Although it's much smoother in handheld mode than what some people were leading to believe.

Haven't had any desync issues, and only noticed stuttering twice because of lots of things going on. So far, the talk about how "bad" it is, is a lot of talk, with little truth so far from my experience.

9. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    This was reported on a few days ago. I can't say its terribly surprising. Breath of the Wild is an intensive game, so much so that 1080p was never going to be possible on Nintendo hardware docked or otherwise. It wasn't hard to imagine that 900p when docked compared to the 720p seen in both handheld and on the Wii U (which both also already experience framerate issues on occasion) was going to still have some framerate issues as well. I'm sure this will deter a few 3rd party developers from releasing their more intensive AAA games, but I still think the majority of great third party games will be able to be ported to the system with little issue.

10. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Been loading up a couple of saves on heavy moments in the game in both docked and undocked today, after 'evaluating' the Wii U version for a few days...

Definitely for performance it's undocked>docked>Wii U

In fact for looks it's exactly the same placement in my opinion, though mileage may vary depending on TV size etc, the Switch screen being just the right size for me.
    Has to be memory bandwidth issue, and will be interesting if the same problems appear on future games, do remember this is kind of a port, and a launch game...

Also Switch version >> Wii U version.
    Also both versions = AWESOME game!

Last edited by mightymuffy, Mar 3, 2017 - Reason: Fuks sake I got Docked and Undocked the wrong way round haha!!
    VinsCool likes this.
  11. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    let's all keep in mind that's a port of a WiiU game, pretty sure it's not 100% a genuine Switch game.

12. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I mean what does that even mean at this point? Yeah it was ported, but the Switch version looks noticeably better beyond the framerate and resolution. The lighting seems better and the colors a bit more vibrant. I find it hard to believe that if this game was developed specifically for the Switch and never meant to have a Wii U version that it still wouldn't have turned out much different than the final Switch version that we do have.

13. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    The Switch version have framedrop that even WiiU does'nt, im pretty sure the way of handle density of vegetation was made for WiiU because the switch struggle on that kind of scenes like the little grassy area just after Rohan on his little cave, where there is his axe, WiiU doesnt drop on that area, but Switch does, of course its computing power compensate for most of the game, but some instruction has to be "emulated" or handled by another set of instructions that the GPU doesnt like when there is too much of that.

14. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Can confirm, hand held have zero lag as far as I seen. Got minor drops playing on my TV.

15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I can see the frame drops. Difference is pretty obvious. Especially when I see heavy vegetation or more than 3 enemies attacking me at once. Yes, I'm undocked. Haven't played it docked, yet.