GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
OP
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Lol, same as gateway, until there was a free alternative, everyone had a gateway, or sx os

Team xecuter got too comfortable, when they did xbox modding, and M$ not really intervening, however nintendo will sue,

What fucked them up, was making a cfw, that allows piracy, which in order to install you had to pay a licensing fee, they were pretty openly selling piracy via their form of drm

Note if making money is the goal, don't advertise about cfw or piracy, and ship hardware blank, and require the enduser to configure it, selling devices that allow homebrew is fine but "out of the box" should not allow piracy, datel got away with selling ds flash cards at walmart and gamestop, same goes for action replay, these utilize exploits, so they can make cartridges that run without signing by ninty

ps: you i didn't say everyone liked tx, you did, and "people serious about modding" will profit when profit can be made, i like money, i like to eat food and sleep in a house too, some people may have the determination to do "free/hobby" hacking

you should also really know how much R&D can go in to stuff like this, ninty console are easy to hack, so that keep cost of development low, plus all of the consoles you will tear apart and break, brick and re-repair to learn its secrets, on top of the cost for the hardware needed for such tasks (logic analyzers, bus sniffing, fuzzers, oscillscopes, bga rework station)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
The only reason people didn't initially dislike gateway was because it was one of the only options, SXOS came out after Atmosphere was already available and stole it's code. People have eaten into those costs you mentioned all alone and released their work for free, you don't have to do any of this for money, especially doing the low effort thing and repackaging someone's work

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Deleted member 668561

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason people didn't initially dislike gateway was because it was one of the only options, SXOS came out after Atmosphere was already available and stole it's code. People have eaten into those costs you mentioned all alone and released their work for free, you don't have to do any of this for money, especially doing the low effort thing and repackaging someone's work

True, but in the end you can't complain too much about software that is made to bypass security, run unsigned code, and run illegal game copies, it STILL siphons money from game companies and it's devs, if I make you pay or not, nintendo consoles are usually easy to mod, and are softmoddable, so cost isn't as high with r&d on xbox or playstation

I bet up to 90 percent of people literally just use these exploits to run roms, and don't even run actual home brew

For example, xbone, if I found an exploit I'd definitely sell it, because by that time I've already invested several thousands on console and reverse engineering equipment, so I will sell the exploit to get some money back, the key is selling the exploit, not a cfw or romloader

I was the same way when I was younger, but when you work a day job and pay bills, selling an exploit like this is good money to be made

It's funny because we make code to run stolen code, but you don't want your code stolen, see how ninty feels now?

Deleted member 668561

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well gateway brick code that trashed a lot of systems went a long way

it's no wonder they rebranded

yep it was a smart move imho, would explain why tx quit xbox modding and rebranded their website

iirc the switch was known to be hackable from day one, because its a nintendo flavored nvida shield k1 tablet, it effectley used off the shelf parts, and rcm mode is a feature known in tegra devices, it was just a matter of figuring out how to boot rcm via switch and boom, nintendo did try better with drm using efuses like the 360, if they didn't use a soc that supported rcm mode or made a propietary alternative...like manufacturer's mode on 360

Deleted member 668561

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well gateway brick code that trashed a lot of systems went a long way

welp dstt did the same thing way before gateway, so this wasn't a new thing, they fucked up and bricked consoles, i feel like the bricker was a Trolling op gone wrong, they could have just easily bricked the fake card instead so it would no longer function, but they chose to brick the nand, and failed with buggy code that triggered on real cards, from a business pov i dont how they thought it was a good idea instead of bricking the card and making people check authenticity

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1