App that organizes VC and Wiiware into categories?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by trogoldito, May 26, 2009.

1. trogoldito
    OP

Newcomer trogoldito Member

United States
    Is there an app out there that allows VC and Wiiware channels to be organized into subcategories?

Such as having a Genesis channel that you click on and would take you to all of your Genesis VC Channels. I don't mean a text list of the channels, I would like for them to be displayed as channels (my younger son cannot read).

I find it strange that Nintendo did not include this feature seeing as there are far too many VC and wiiware titles to have them spread out without any manner of organizing them.

2. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It would be hard because you'd have to recreate the system menu essentially. I'm new but I've been hacking for a while, its being worked on. Its possible with a boot2 replacement of some sort, like what Bootmii has been doing.

3. Chaos Punk

Member Chaos Punk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For the genises games, just use an emulator and roms, just google roms and use a website thats pretty dope- thats a hint ;p

4. illinialex24

United States
    Yeah I know, you can use emulation to fix it but I think he means through actual VC games, not through emulation. I do that for my GBA and Genesis games, but since Wii64 isn't out and functioning well, I can't do that for 64 games yet.

5. Chaos Punk

United States
    Yea, I knew he meant VC games, but other than N64 games, it's pointless to use VC since emulators are
    1. free
    2. take up no space since it's run off sd and or usb (unless you install embedded channels like I have.
    3. much easier to use since you can use any controller you want and can play games that AREN'T VC.

So since there are emulators, VC games (except for N64, no emu for that yet) are pointless.

6. illinialex24

United States
    Although emulation isn't perfect, IE, its better to use VC when you can. A great example of this is Majora's Mask, Project 64 or Project 64k can't emulate it perfectly, and it makes it so you can't enter the rooms of bosses on certain roms twice, completely glitching it out and ruining the experience.

7. Chaos Punk

United States
    THAT'S why I said except for N64 games, the older systems have no need to be played on VC anymore.

8. trogoldito
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the replies.

Are there any emulators out there for the wii that display box art and/or title screen images (like USB loader displays box art for Wii games). That would be awesome.

9. illinialex24

United States
    I don't believe so, my favorite is VBAWii for Gameboy to Gameboy Advance.

10. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Well not exactly what everyone is wanting (not VC or WiiWare, bit everything else), but close and VERY customisable is :

Wii Homebrew Launcher

This is like the HBC except that you can customise it, do things like make categories and have a picture that launches an individual rom with an emu from SD, SMB etc. (so it looks like a VC game [​IMG] )

You can group things like your apps and homebrew so have one menu for Tools and another for Homebrew, or even one for Favourites etc etc you decide by simply making a folder and adding lines to the config. Source is available also and I really don't know why this hasn't taken off in a big way as an alternative to the HBC.

You can add skins and most things people often "wish" for with the HBC. Other things like adding a .txt file for the display name shown, too many features to remember [​IMG]

My favourite features are the ability to do pretty much everything from SMB shares.

Anyway check it out yourself here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Homebrew_Launcher

* The documentation that comes with it doesn't even nearly beegin to explain how much you can do with it EG
    "Any files related to a homebrew can be put anywhere, despite what it may seem in the example." This is very true and other features are not even mentioned. Your best to check out the official site (it's French) for more info.

** Source is available (but pretty huge compared to some apps) so if any talented coders took this on it would come on leaps and bounds, but sadly it gets little or no attention.

11. trogoldito
    OP

United States
    Thank you sooo much for bringing Wii Homebrew Launcher to my attention Slimmmmm. This sounds like the closest thing to achieving the set up I was looking for.

If I can set Wii Homebrew Launcher to autoboot on start up with Preloader then I would only have to exit to system menu when I want to play WiiWare titles. That would be a step away from perfection for me.

Thanks for all the help guys.