Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Despite not having a Gateway flash kit or even a 3DS anymore, I thought I might whip this up for GBAtemp (since I plan on buying the two). (It's really been a while since I've been on here, hasn't it?)

So, we all know how the Gateway requires separate microSD cards for each game. This can really be annoying if you have multiple games you want to play! And with microSD cards being so easy to lose, this can be a real problem.

Hence, I introduce to you...
GATEWAYFLASH
UKy2h1d.png

GatewayFlash is an app I've written for rooted Android devices. It allows you to flash new ROMs onto your microSD card straight from your phone/tablet. Convenient if you don't want to carry around tons of microSD cards for all your games!

How it works:
1. Root your device. (You can find rooting guides on forum.xda-developers.com or by searching on Google)
2. Install the app from here (free) or from the Play Store (donation, automatic updates)
3. Download/copy ROMs to your device's internal storage
4. Insert microSD card into your device, either via microSD slot or by USB OTG + microSD reader (latter option is useful if your device doesn't have a slot or you use a microSD in your device for bulk storage)
5. Unmount your microSD card if it has a filesystem on it (ie. you haven't used it for Gateway yet)
6. Open the app and select a ROM to flash
7. Long-press on the filesystem you want to flash to (lists only external storage devices) and confirm flash.
8. Wait.
9. Remove and put in your Gateway.
10. Enjoy your games!

Quick picture tutorial

Buy from the Play Store ($2.99) if you like this app and get automatic updates!!

Changelog
  • 1.0.1: Fixed bug preventing flash under certain conditions
  • 1.0: Initial release

Attachments

• GatewayFlash 1.0.1.zip
    424 KB · Views: 404

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Q: What is root and why do I need it?
A: Root is having full access over the entirety of the Android device (analogous to, but not exactly the same as, jailbreaking on iOS). Without it, we are unable to do many system-level operations, such as in this case writing to the microSD card directly.

Q: My Nexus 4/Nexus 5/Nexus 7/Moto X/HTC One/LG G2/other Android device doesn't have a microSD card slot! What can I do?
A: You can buy a USB On-The-Go adapter and use it with a microSD reader; it'll still show up. Some additional configuration may be required if you go about this method, however.

Q: Why's the flash taking so long?
A: Your microSD card might be slow. For a class 10 microSD card, expect the flash to take about 7 minutes for a 4GB ROM. I will add a progress bar and background flashing to the next release.

More to come...

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Awesome. Thanks you!

Btw I can't buy it from the play store, your link is not working.

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
This is really awesome and for that I'd like to give you my appreciation for your work. But somehow I feel it would have been better if this was here around the early release days of Gateway, simply because Gateway has promised a multirom support in the near future, so if that occurs, it would mostly make this app redundant.

I am really sorry if I sound harsh, as that's not the intention. I just wanted to inform you about that, but nevertheless, your work is highly appreciated, please do more!

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is really awesome and for that I'd like to give you my appreciation for your work. But somehow I feel it would have been better if this was here around the early release days of Gateway, simply because Gateway has promised a multirom support in the near future, so if that occurs, it would mostly make this app redundant.

I am really sorry if I sound harsh, as that's not the intention. I just wanted to inform you about that, but nevertheless, your work is highly appreciated, please do more!

Eh, no big deal. I threw this together in < 6 hours, including testing. Hoping someone can find it useful, since the 2.0 beta doesn't have multirom support.

Reactions: Wiki'd

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
Great job buddy exactly what I needed on my 96Gb Samsung Note 3 actually asked about an app for this exact this a while ago

player3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He tested it, so I assume it works.
Besides, if he makes an app like this, I think he at least know this.

How did he test it if he doesn't have a gateway or a 3ds?

"Despite not having a Gateway flash kit or even a 3DS anymore..."

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
It works just like win 32 flasher app we use. It writes a raw img file to SD. Becareful however as your intelnal microsd will show up aswell. Also op when gateway have multi rom support maybe add a option to copy to fat 32 per gateways standard when released and maybe Like the nes hunter pro app show our collections with the cover pics or even the banner pix inside the rom. (There is tools to extract these.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1