AP Classes/Exams

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I can't be the only one on the Temp taking these kinds of classes. Got any stories or advice you guys would like to share?

I've already taken AP Human Geography last year (my freshman year) and it was a mixed bag. I had a great teacher but I didn't read the book or really pay attention til after Christmas but I still got an A in the class & a 5 on the AP Exam. Whereas about half the class tried their hardest and barely passed.

For sophomore year, I'm going to take AP Biology, & AP World History, along with 4 Pre-AP classes (English II, Geometry, Chemistry, & Latin II).

So, in your personal experience, are all AP classes the same, or do they vary greatly?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Someone once tried to explain the US schooling system up to and including the point/meaning of AP classes but despite lots of accounting, several areas of law and much of physics all making sense to me I declared it convoluted nonsense and gave up.

I can read various articles but most of those are pro having bits of paper so in the long run what do AP classes mean and do that matter?

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're alright but really they're what you make of them. The sciences are all lab-oriented but cover different topics. English language versus literature focuses more on writing strategy than analysis, etc., etc. I just graduated high school and in four years scored five 5's and four 4's on my tests. I'd say the classes were worthwhile but tough and seeing my sister's college intro to chemistry class line up with what AP chemistry was doing for me was reassuring. As for a hint, while actually just reading the books are ideal (I really had to get used to reading thoroughly this year after the migraine that was AP art history :P) usually the AP test study guides you normally buy to prep for tests at the end of the year make excellent quick fix replacements for subjects that might be going a bit over your head so it might not be a bad idea to invest in those earlier in the year.

Reactions: TyBlood13

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
An AP class is a class that is effectively a college level class that you generally have the option of taking in high school (not sure of Europe equivalency 9-12th grade/year). This class is meant to prepare you for a administered by College Board, some random company that a lot of colleges/universities respect. The test score is a weighted percentage based off of the previous year's score, on a 5 point scale. Afaik 5 is like top 5% of everybody who took the test (missed/incorrectly answered little), a 4 is like top 20%, a 3 is 50% etc. Certain colleges/universities require a certain point value in order for them to accept that class as a college grade course, effectively allowing you to bypass taking that course. The major benefit of an AP class is the fact that you don't have to take the class at university, saving you money and time, as the test only costs $79 IIRC when I took it, whereas the university course could cost around $2000

As for me, BC Calculus was a cake walk. I slept through class and still got a 5 on the damn test, I even know which 2 questions I missed the moment I walked out of the testing room. I took AP Statistics, but was idiotic enough to not take the test. Took AP Physics, but our teacher sucked horribly and we didn't finish 60% of the material for the school year, so I didn't even bother taking the test. I'm awful at english, as I find it a very illogical language, so I didn't bother to take the class. Unfortunately no other AP classes were offered when I went to school.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its a class you can take that will transfer over to college and you never have to take it in college. ....basically.

The trouble then is you also have to explain the US college system which is quite different to the UK, Australian and most European ones as well (for one everything is pretty separate). That and college outside the US is typically what 16 to 18 year olds (and those seeking a similar level of education or to head into one of the trades) will attend.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trouble then is you also have to explain the US college system which is quite different to the UK, Australian and most European ones as well (for one everything is pretty separate). That and college outside the US is typically what 16 to 18 year olds (and those seeking a similar level of education or to head into one of the trades) will attend.

the US college system is so fucked up it's not even worth it to explain tbh.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you going from high school to a 4 year college, AP makes sense. If you going to community college first then transfer to a 4 year college, AP class is worthless.

I had taken AP Statistic for 2 weeks before the class was dismissed (there was only 10 students in the class, not enough to keep it going). Compared to regular Statistic, it is exactly the same material, except AP goes at a faster pace.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They definitely vary greatly. You better be able to work your butt off and learn to study by yourself because you will not always get good teachers. Almost all of my AP teachers sucked and I didn't care enough to work hard my senior year.
Bottom line-- they are good if you are going to work hard. You can get the tests for around 5 dollars if you are a low income student (even though I think that is completely unfair) in California and probably other states too. These tests and classes are generally much tougher than the college classes that you would take to earn the same credits. At one of my local schools they offer Jr. college classes through the high school which is the better way to go by far because the classes are generally easier, you get a GPA boost, and you get college credit for passing without the stress of an all-or-nothing test

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up taking two AP courses - AP Government and Politics and AP English Literature. Got 5s on both exams and got 12 or so credits for college, which let me skip past 4 courses. Definitely worth it.

I had the opportunity to take a few other AP courses beforehand, but I backed out because I was afraid of messing up. I kind of regret that now, but eh, what's past is past.

Reactions: TyBlood13

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
AP Classes are definently worth it. I took AP English I, World Geography, and Biology. I was able to skip a few extra courses by doing that, so my Sophomore year was simpler. They require more studying (Although, "studying" has a different definition depending on each school) but the payoff is great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr