Hacking Anyway to use more than 64GB SD card internally?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an SDXC card, not noticing that the 3DS does not support SDXC due to only being able to format in exFAT and NTFS, which 3DS can't read. I found a tool that will let me format it in FAT32 but I can only use a 32GB parition.

1. Are there SDHC 64GB+ cards?
2. Is there a way to format this card so I can use all 64 GB or should I just return this card get a 32GB one? I only plan to use this for my 3DS so it just looks like I'm wasting money and space.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Return it and get a 32gb, The 3ds can only support any thing above 32gb so you are stuck with 32gb or below.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Return it and get a 32gb, The 3ds can only support any thing above 32gb so you are stuck with 32gb or below.

Disregard that I did not mean to double post.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I bought an SDXC card, not noticing that the 3DS does not support SDXC due to only being able to format in exFAT and NTFS, which 3DS can't read. I found a tool that will let me format it in FAT32 but I can only use a 32GB parition.

1. Are there SDHC 64GB+ cards?
2. Is there a way to format this card so I can use all 64 GB or should I just return this card get a 32GB one? I only plan to use this for my 3DS so it just looks like I'm wasting money and space.
It should work as long as you format it to FAT32. Windows won't do it for unknown reasons, you can use easeus partition master.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've got it formatted but can only use 32GB, I don't know if these programs will format 64GB partitions using FAT32, I think 32GB is hard limit.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I did, and I can only get it to format the first 32GB of the card, I need to know if its actually possible to create a FAT32 partition using the entire 64GB.

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is possible. Albeit 32GB is the official limit there are reports of even 128GB SDXC working provided it is forced to fat32 format.

Not sure why Nintendo would limit the 3DS at 32 GBs. Pretty much makes going all-digital redundant.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
32GB is not a hard limit. Third party software will FAT32 format 64 and even 128GB cards easily. The FAT32 filesystem limit specification is around 2-8 Terabytes.

Reactions: mmn

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: ground

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Not sure why people are still using random programs. Should only be using the official SD formatter to format SD cards:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Nintendo also recommends using the tool above to format SD cards:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/220/~/how-to-format-an-sd-card

This tool should allow you to format the card to FAT32. If you still only see 32 GB after formatting, you got a fake/counterfeit card.
Because the official SD Formatter abides to the specifications and REFUSES to format an 64+GB card in anything except exFAT or NTFS. The idea here is to break the rules and force the card to format in the officially unsupported format: FAT32.

Alexisss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why a lot of format tools don't support formatting >32gb as FAT32 is because FAT32 was not designed to handle that large of storage. It can, it just wasn't designed for it, so the further you go beyond 32gb, the slower it gets. Microsoft also probably struck a deal with SD and the major manufacturers, giving them cheaper licenses if they agree to format the card as ExFAT. This way companies like Nintendo, Android phone makers, camera makers, etc are forced to buy the much more expensive licenses for ExFAT rather than the much cheaper FAT32 licenses.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it will work or not, most likely not. If you have VMWare Workstation, you could mount that SD card as "physical drive" for a virtual hard drive, then boot up guess OS and the disk manager in Windows should give you the option to create and format the drive as FAT32 to full capacity. However be very careful when using this option, if you select the wrong drive, you could really cluck up your computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them