Hacking Anyway to unbrick a Coldboot start up

FRITZINATOR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when people brick it's mostly their own fault. i'm using coldboothax and gonna keep using it. There's 0 percent for me that i'll ever brick using coldboothax
Well to be fair, I was following a guide that wasn't completely re-edited. I talked to the guy who made it and he apologized. It's not been edited correctly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

then bring it to gamestop if theres no visual sign of a softmod you could be lucky
I am going to try it and see what they say. Maybe use the "the power shut off when I was updating a game"

FRITZINATOR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what have you done btw youve installed haxchi over youre dsvc again after installing cbhc
Basically, I used this guide that overlapped the two haxchi

1) Download a DS VC game that you don't like such as Big Brain Academy or Brain Age using something like Wii U USB Helper or Funkii-UI
2) Add the DS VC to an install folder on your SD
3) Download these Secondary Haxchi files and add them to your SD card, replace the files
4) Turn on your Wii U and it will autoboot cfw (The system menu option in CBHC)
5) Use your browser and go to loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK
6) Once on Homebrew Launcher, choose WUP Installer Y Mod
7) Install the DS VC to system memory then press home to exit (DO NOT install to USB storage)
8) Choose Haxchi and install it over the DS VC game you just installed (DO NOT install it over the one used for coldbooting!!!) If you get stuck on a white screen, turn it off and try agan"

This was removed from the guide after I talked to him

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you mean the bold one was added after you bricked youre console?

now i get what you did youve installed the same ds game uve used for cbhc again via wupinstaller?

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
still dont get what forceod youre console to brick there is only the way that you either
installed haxchi over youre cbhc vc
installed cbhc to a vc stored on usb
or installed cbhc to a vc wich wasent downloaded from the e-shop

oh or youve installed the same game again with wupinstaller

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry it was my fault this happened to you, but then again I don't see how my old steps can cause a brick if you followed them. This should have left you with two different DS VC, one used for CBHC and the other used for Haxchi. I switched the guide to use Homebrew Channel Launcher instead since its risky for users because you can possibly install haxchi over the CBHC DS VC. I myself have switched to homebrew launcher channel (But then I get a black screen when I exit from it for some reason)

I still dont quite understand where you've messed up

Last edited by MattKimura,
Reactions: FRITZINATOR

FRITZINATOR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installed haxchi over my cbhc vc after I installed a secondary "Brain Age" vc to the wii U. The secondary vc overlapped the first cbhc vc and after rebooting it was bricked

Sorry it was my fault this happened to you, but then again I don't see how my old steps can cause a brick if you followed them. This should have left you with two different DS VC, one used for CBHC and the other used for Haxchi. I switched the guide to use Homebrew Channel Launcher instead since its risky for users because you can possibly install haxchi over the CBHC DS VC. I myself have switched to homebrew launcher channel (But then I get a black screen when I exit from it for some reason)

Its really not your fault. I should had gone back to the main wii u menu and double checked that the secondary brain age was installed. I basically added the second haxchi while still in the homebrew menu

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yes that happend quite often last days i have my cbhc installed on pokemon mystery dungeon and my secondary haxchi via brainage

i probably write a complete up to date guide later and hope it gets replaced with the outdated guides at this site

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
installed haxchi over my cbhc vc after I installed a secondary "Brain Age" vc to the wii U. The secondary vc overlapped the first cbhc vc and after rebooting it was bricked

Its really not your fault. I should had gone back to the main wii u menu and double checked that the secondary brain age was installed. I basically added the second haxchi while still in the homebrew menu
You can't install two of the same game unless they are different regions! thats where you messed up!

akificko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I
yes that happend quite often last days i have my cbhc installed on pokemon mystery dungeon and my secondary haxchi via brainage

i probably write a complete up to date guide later and hope it gets replaced with the outdated guides at this site

Really dont understand why you guys need a secondary haxchi installed on your wii u.

I have installed cbhc over my haxchi and it just boots fine.
Is there an advantage of installing a secondary haxchi which i probably dont know?

Reactions: LaPingas

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah same here. There's no point in installing a secondary haxchi when coldboothax is installed. I see a lot of people are using it as the homebrew launcher wich i still don't get. Just do the same as i did have coldboothax installed and install the homebrew channel through wupinstaller instead of going through the hazzle of installing haxchi again. Just install the homebrew channel through wupinstaller. It's as simple as that !

Reactions: LaPingas

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP

Please dont make guides when you dont understand whats happening.. Seconly why on earth would you guide someone to have cbhc and haxchi ?

Reactions: Quantumcat

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please dont make guides when you dont understand whats happening.. Seconly why on earth would you guide someone to have cbhc and haxchi ?
My guide happens to be very useful to a lot of users. I mostly made it as a way for me to document what I understand about Wii U hacking while also being helpful to others. It's a guide that should be taken with caution, which I did put up a warning for that section. This was the only mishap that happened in a long time, and a personal mistake. I either need to add some more red signs in the cbhc section, or remove it altogether. Personally, CBHC is super easy to use so I didn't mind having it on there. I switched to HBL Channel because I figured it was risky with another haxchi. Yeah it was my dumb idea overall to use a secondary haxchi, which worked just fine for me but after a while I realized how unsafe it was.

What do you mean I don't understand what's happening? My guide makes perfect sense. I was just having a bit of trouble figuring out what the user did based on how he explained it. The steps for installing a secondary haxchi were straight forward: Install a different DS VC game, install Haxchi on that. But those steps are gone and no longer needed since I switched it to HBL Channel. I can take blame for adding such a section, but the steps themselves do not lead to a brick when done properly.
Even if I remove the CBHC section from the guide, people will stumble across CBHC themselves eventually. It's easy enough to manage, you just install it and be done with it after that. 1.5 further helps to protect it from being overwritten.
Again my guide is just something I put together for my own enjoyment, not to be some kind of definitive guide. User error isn't something I can control.

nonameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Basically, I used this guide that overlapped the two haxchi

1) Download a DS VC game that you don't like such as Big Brain Academy or Brain Age using something like Wii U USB Helper or Funkii-UI
2) Add the DS VC to an install folder on your SD
3) Download these Secondary Haxchi files and add them to your SD card, replace the files
4) Turn on your Wii U and it will autoboot cfw (The system menu option in CBHC)
5) Use your browser and go to loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK
6) Once on Homebrew Launcher, choose WUP Installer Y Mod
7) Install the DS VC to system memory then press home to exit (DO NOT install to USB storage)
8) Choose Haxchi and install it over the DS VC game you just installed (DO NOT install it over the one used for coldbooting!!!) If you get stuck on a white screen, turn it off and try agan"

This was removed from the guide after I talked to him

I'm not sure but in step one we should buy a copy of a ds vc game and not install it with the brazilian method. I might be wrong though

Last edited by nonameboy,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure but in step one we should buy a copy of a ds vc game and not install it with the brazilian method. I might be wrong though
It's not called brazilian method, there's no legit tickets used for DS VC games.
Since you can autoboot into CFW with CBHC, you don't need to purchase another DS VC. The signature checks will be patched so you'll be fine without a legit ticket, thanks to the CFW.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want a guide with CBHC and Haxchi, I suggest you tell users to install 2 NDS games first, both with haxchi, test them both, then replace one with cbhc.
Of course, it would require 2 official games, not a bad-signed ticket installed with WUP installer.

If you ever re-create the guide to use WUP installer to install the second game for second haxchi, be sure to not tell users to "get a game you don't play" but "get a game DIFFERENT than the one used to install the first haxchi/CBHC".
That's because users think they completely replaced the NDS game with CBHC, and the game is no longer installed, so they can install a new version of the same game to get a second one. but they just overwrite the old one because it's the same titleID. If you want to do that, you have to edit the TitleID manually. (I think Nexus made a guide)
I guess CBHC/Haxchi1.5 will now prevent it automatically, so users won't brick. but some users might try to install an old version instead of updating to the new release.

Also, where is located your guide? just curious, unless it's on a iso sharing website.
I wrote my own, and it seems lot of users did too, instead of working on a good/single guide (maybe in a form of wiki, or a protected wiki page to prevent anybody to edit it to purposely brick)
FlimFlam guide is kind of like a wiki? or is he writing it alone? I don't even know if he is a gbatemp member, maybe only reddit?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I will never understand the interrest about this coldboothax...

Without coldboothax, you have only to press once on haxchi to launch a CFW. And keep an access to sysmenu is ALWAYS a good thing (for recover rednand or whatever).

Coldboothax need to be more securised for common use, or we need a boot0/boot1 exploit to be sure to have a way to launch a recover image or something similar
Yeah and I also struggle to understand how people can fuxk up so badly, when really its so easy to do! it may of been a little harder back in the days of extracting the system.xml file and changing strings but now there are methods that you cannot go wrong with, if you follow the instructions thoroughly that is. I did it along time ago using this guide and it still went ok>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1leNhUfQ7rgJHgn33WN_Ay42uWtCi4F-gyL1m_xbwqjI/edit

Edit: they should not be messing around with coldboothax in the first instance, if they are not sure what they are doing! they should not blame anyone else, other than themselves. Its like saying, "I'm blaming the drug dealer for getting me hooked on drugs!" you bought the drugs, so your to blame, no ones putting a gun to your head!

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s