Homebrew ANyway to scale the screen on jenesisDS so that...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, afraid not. Unless you'd rather play at half speed with no sound on a much older version with far fewer features. Current versions of JenesisDS use a hardware renderer, and due to the way DS hardware works, it's impossible to scale the graphics like you want. There was an older version bundled with release 0.4 that used a software renderer which could scale the graphics fully. Like i said though, it has no sound, it's very slow, and it's just old. Lordus (the programmer) ended up scrapping the software version and focusing on the hardware one. I think the tradeoff was quite fair as we eventually got a massive speed boost making 98% of Genesis games working full speed, as well as sound support that sounds pretty darn good.

But feel free to track down that old 0.4 release that comes with the software version if scaling is so important. Personally, i just turn scaling off, i detest squished graphics and would rather have a bit of the HUD cut off than make everything look all stretched. And i value the speed and sound.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always set the screen to follow the dpad in the options so it will scroll the screen left or right as you play. I've found that to work out pretty well.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but sometimes menu-heavy games (such as Shadowrun) require a lot of playing around to read everything. I'm a perpetual noob, so bear with me, but I don't see how making the screen smaller (perhaps with a black border to make up for the aspect ratio differential) would cause the games to run slower, as a smaller screen resolution usually means less work, right?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
yeah, but sometimes menu-heavy games (such as Shadowrun) require a lot of playing around to read everything. I'm a perpetual noob, so bear with me, but I don't see how making the screen smaller (perhaps with a black border to make up for the aspect ratio differential) would cause the games to run slower, as a smaller screen resolution usually means less work, right?

It's not that simple, but unfortunately the details are a bit complicated. The DS, being a game machine, has some dedicated 2D graphics hardware. "Hardware rendering" means translating Genesis graphics commands to DS graphics commands, which greatly increases speed. The alternative is "software rendering" in which you determine what the screen should look like in memory and then paint it to the screen pixel by pixel, which is a more graphically accurate but much slower way of displaying the graphics. The issue here is that with hardware rendering, you can't squish the screen horizontally. You would have to use software rendering to do that, and the use of the renderer itself is what would cause the slowdown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended