anyway to resize pictures without losing qualtity

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by pikachu945, Mar 19, 2011.

1. pikachu945
    OP

Member pikachu945 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Is there anyway I could resize a picture to make a picture bigger and keep the quality or make it better?

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Unless the image is vectored, then no.
    There are things you can do to make the image look better than a simple resize (which stretches the image), but you'll never keep the same quality.

If you want to link/send me the pic and the specs you need I can see what I can do, but I make no promises or guarantees.

3. meornot0

Member meornot0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nope.avi

Well, you could try upscaling, but that will basically remove he jagginess and create blurring, not really increasing the resolution of the picture.

4. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Right now, I don't believe the technology exists in mainstream editors like Photoshop.

Its difficult because when you make a photo larger, you're stretching the pixels into more pixels, thus you get pixelation & blurriness. In order to prevent that from happening, the software would have to guess at the pictures details while still not messing it all up.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's smaller, thus there is less data in it than in a larger version. Details will be missing, it will be pixelated and/or blurry when you enlarge it because the details "between the pixels" are not there, and won't magically appear.

It's like if you take a book, and summarize it into a paragraph. You cannot rebuild the book from just that paragraph, because a lot of detail is missing which cannot automatically be recreated by a computer if it's not already known.

1 - Deal with it.
    2 - Try to find a larger version.
    3 - Depending on what it is, see if somebody will do vector art of it for you, which can be resized with no loss of quality. This, however, takes time and a talented tech artist to do it for you, as they will be manually recreating the entire image... this tends to not work well with real-life images, though. Just anime stuff, and technical diagrams and charts, and it takes time.

This video uses examples to help explain it.
    http://www.geekbrief.tv/macmerctv