Anyway to get 'parental controls' with an Acekard ?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by AdamBrunt, Dec 5, 2009.

1. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi all,

Just got a DS Lite for my daughter for Christmas. It came bundled with an R4 card but after reading and posting on here I have upgraded to an Acekard 2i.

Anyway, despite it being hers, I will probably want to play on it as well - but games that are probably not suitable for her (she is only 6). So I was wondering if there was any way of blocking access to games on the SD card ?

Reading the documentation it seems that the Acekard (and AKAIO ?) options allow you to set it up so that it won't display roms that have been marked as 'hidden'. And then when I am playing I can just simply turn this option off.

Is this the only way I could do it without getting a 2nd SD card ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Didnt see it on both OS... Sorry.

3. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Yeah thats the only way

4. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thanks - it's not ideal but I think she is unlikely to find the option to turn it off.

5. ThePengwin

Newcomer ThePengwin Member

Australia
    One thing i can think of is why not just have two SD micro cards? You can put all her things on one, and all your things on another, that way there is no possible way she can find anything you dont let her find.

SD Micro cards seem quite cheap these days too.

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    He said that he wanted to knowif there was a way without buying a second SD why buy another when you dont need it

7. ThePengwin

Newcomer ThePengwin Member

Australia
    I guess i didnt read the entire thing, but SD Cards are so cheap these days, i have about 3 1GB ones just sitting around

8. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    AKAIO does have an option to hide/show certain folders or files, so this may yet work for you. You can get all info in the wiki ~ http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=AKAIO

My guess is you put your stuff into hidden folders, then enable/disable hidden folders depending on who is playing.

9. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Have forgoten this option (it can on both OS) :D Works but you must set atributes of folders or game itself to HIDDEN when you copy them to card... And then in system options of AKAIO / ACEKARD OS choose SHOW HIDDEN FILES - ALLOW / DENY
    But if your daugter is smart, there is large chance that she find them...

10. heyyouguys

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, when my daughter was younger and before slot 1 solutions, we had a Supercard SD. I just put a folder called 'GAMES' and one called 'DADS GAMES' and my daughter didn't play them as i told her if she did, she would lose her DS. This worked for me, and she did not play them. Maybe this will work for your daughter as well.