Anyway to boot back to Wii Menu from Gamecube mode?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sebastian25, May 29, 2008.

1. Sebastian25
    OP

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I noticed some homebrew lets you boot back to wii menu, are there any developers working on a Gamecube to Wii mode?

Its slightly inconvient to power off the wii and power it back on when switching games in gamecube.

If someone ever finds a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Jm9760

Member Jm9760 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea, I never understood why you can't use the home button while playing a gamecube game.

3. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    when running gc software the wii really becomes a gamecube. the wii hardware can't be used, so no wiimote functionality and no returning to the wii menu

4. Jm9760

Member Jm9760 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I understand that, but that's only because Nintendo chose to do it that way. I'm sure they could have made it so that when you're playing a gamecube game the wii part didn't "shut off" and it solely became a gamecube. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

5. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I think calling the soft reset procedure in GC mode will result in the Wii menu...

6. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah but, it was basically just the easiest, cheapest, best and most hack-proof way of doing it. So they win all round. I should think that's why.

7. Sebastian25
    OP

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The QOOB PRO modchip for the Gamecube reset to a multi boot menu. If Linux can be booted from Gamecube mode, then Im kinda confused why it would NOT be possible.

anyone know for sure?

8. deadrabbit

Newcomer deadrabbit Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Is there a way to run the gamecube menu in wii mode, Im sure it would take a tonne of work, but im interested to know if its theoretically possible.
    What great homebrew that would be - almost like a GC emulator.

9. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I wonder if the Wii even has the power to emulate the GameCube though...
    I doubt it, to be honest, and it would take a genius and years of work to do if it was possible.

10. TSPhoenix

Member TSPhoenix GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    They have the same hardware architecture so emulation isn't necessary. Basically the idea is that you'd insert a layer around GC mode that would be able to halt GC mode and return to Wii mode. All theoretical mind you but as long as we are speaking theoretical if we could get that far it'd probably be possible to reroute memory card and controller slots to different addresses so you could memory map the GC save to a folder on your SD card or something. Theoretically.

11. sblur

Newcomer sblur Member

Calling M_HOTRESET; anywhere will cause a reboot.

This code has been around since openGC, or whatever libogc's predecessor was called, because that's where I just copied it from.