anyone worried about being banned from online?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by iamisaac, Dec 10, 2012.

Dec 10, 2012
  1. iamisaac
    OP

Newcomer iamisaac Member

United States
    I loved the homebrew scene for the wii but I'm scared to jump in for the Wii U as I think they may start banning online play. Nobody else seems concerned?

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    For homebrew? I seriously doubt it. All homebrew at this point is focussed on or around the vwii. And on the wii, nintendo never bothered to ban anyone from using homebrew or even a downright illegal copy of the game.
    While it certainly isn't impossible that going online does some checks within the vwii (IF 'homebrew channel==installed THEN kickPlayerOffTheInternet), I don't think nintendo is going to bother right now (after all, once this gets out, people could just go back to doing that very same thing on their real wii).
    However, I think things could turn out very different once it becomes possible to load illegal copies or backups of wiiu games. That third party support nintendo went on about...banning from online play seems a bit like a minimum.

Not that I'm really bothered with any of that. What I am concerned about, however, is my guarantee. I don't want to void my warranty by putting the homebrew channel on it right now. That'll most likely come once that has worn out (and my console doesn't have some sort of hidden issue). :)

3. Stalkid64X

Newcomer Stalkid64X Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Two points I would raise. One, I believe the online agreement stated they could basically account/console ban you. Since Sony and Microsoft already do this, there is no reason to believe they wouldn't. Two... we have NO IDEA how unexpected or strange content on the vWii may be affected by a future update to the Wii U/itself, or how it could have unintended consequences. Not really worth risking bricking that expensive new system for the sake of old homebrew, is it?

lovewiibrew likes this.
  4. lovewiibrew

Member lovewiibrew Sifjar is a pirate

United States
    I agree. I can already do a ton of stuff with my wii, no need to screw up my Wii U to do stuff I already can.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Should ban online play.

G0dLiKe likes this.
  6. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    I have a feeling nintendo will start banning consoles if they are using backup loaders (yes nintendo can see you using a pirated copy of the game)

7. Stalkid64X

Newcomer Stalkid64X Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Not only that, they can I believe essentially `kick you out of` Wii mode at any time to do an update if you're online at all. Be careful is the motto of the story right now.

8. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    You mod your console, Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft WILL if they are able to, disable your console from connecting online. They have every right to. This should be pounded into people's heads right now like a mantra. Playing pirated games or playing online. Pick one, because there is no guarantee whatsoever that you will have both, when push comes to shove.

I can almost guarantee that Nintendo has built in that capability with the Wii-U, so be prepared for console bans if backup loaders ever work again.

9. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    that would be if backup loaders work in Wii U mode. the WiiMode part does not use your Nintendo Network ID for online use. anyways, people have been playing mario kart Wii online using backup loaders for sometime now as there are no backup loader checks when going online. adding that would require a update to Mario Kart Wii and other Wii games themselves and a patching system like that does not exist for the Wii. they would need to do it via a WiiMode update if anything.

Also, for the PS3 even,not one person got banned for PS2 homebrew use via Action Replay on the PS2 BC mode of the PS3, not even for using USB loaders like Open PS2 Loader.

for the xbox 360,nobody got banned for custom maps on Halo 2 via editing the DLC maps on the Hard Drive of the 360 either unless they got caught using modded maps on matchmaking back when XBL worked for Xbox1 Mode.

10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

11. Mapleine

Newcomer Mapleine Newbie

United States
    I expect them to fight back against Wii U hacking with fairly routine firmware updates and lightweight security (in contrast to the other two console makers)

For vWii mode, I expect nothing, only time will tell but I believe it was sandboxed for a reason.

12. muskieratboi

Member muskieratboi Rydian's got some competition!

Australia
    *shrug* There's a few places around already that are selling the 8gb SKUs for dirt cheap.. I'll be getting one of ose soonish. :P

yes, Nintendo, I'm buying a SECOND console. and you say us hackers take all your money? :P

13. boomario

Member boomario Nothing to say here.

Brazil
    I think nintendo could do a simple blocking method for wiimode, making new homebrew/hack installs impossible/unlikable while no wiiU hacks yet,
    my example:

WiiU verify any hacks/homebrews on sd when started and delete everything, if he blocks sd card from loading if inserted after wiiu verifying hacks will be very unlikeable till someone hacks wiiu and remove that verification, of course for this will be necessary changes on both wiiu and wiimode system, but its very possible.

Sorry for bad explaining but i hope everyone understanded :lol:

14. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States

Here I'll explain more.

Wii U system menu will find any hacks/homebrews on SD card it knows and deletes em.
    So you need to get out of Wii U mode before you put in the SD card.

15. boomario

Member boomario Nothing to say here.

Brazil
    that's i'm talking about, if nintendo add something in wiimode to dont load sd card if not inserted in WiiU system, will be hard to hack wiimode, but its just a idea/theory, sorry :(

16. muskieratboi

Member muskieratboi Rydian's got some competition!

Australia
    If Nintendo remove SD card support in vWii, then vWii becomes as essentially useless as the Wii mini. it would also start a row among the fanbase of OtherOS levels, and lead to even greater efforts in hacking the WiiU to return that functionality.

17. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    I don't think big "N" knows that I installed hbc to vWii because I play Wii U games online and never got kicked. I think there is too many Wii's that run homebrew for them to worry about vWii running homebrew.

18. driverdis

United States
    Nintendo would not disable SD support in vWii as people need that to install all their shop purchases since most people filled up their system memory and are using the SD Card or have all their VC/WiiWare/Channels on SD card and the system memory unused except for saves.

19. driverdis

United States
    The Wii Mini is not useless as you should be able to use a USB Lan adapter and the HBC+AHBPROT to install the Shop and other standard wii channels if it does not have them.

that would make it a LAN only MiniWii,basically, a PS2 slim (since its small and never had wifi, neither did fat tho) or the 20GB PS3(had lan but no WiFi, but its not small so no cannot use for the size reference)

20. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    It should be mentioned that nobody has ever been banned/bricked/etc for using a flashcart on the 3DS in nearly 2 years, which is more or less the same situation. All Nintendo does is block the flashcards in updates.