bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
You should still be able to download them via the Wii Shop Channel, right?
No. Not if you don't own them on your Wii Shop account. Which is tied to the Wii itself.

Ownership of titles is dependent on a decryption key, or "Ticket", that is permanently installed to your Wii when you purchase a game. After that, the Wii Shop Channel will allow you to download that file as many times as you want as long as you have the ticket. If you delete your Shop account or format the Wii, etc, you lose those tickets and all of your games with them.

Tickets are needed to decrypt the files from the NUS. You can download games without having a remaining ticket, but good luck trying to actually run them without being able to decrypt it.

This system is well documented on WiiBrew: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ticket

Last edited by bonkmaykr,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No. Not if you don't own them on your Wii Shop account. Which is tied to the Wii itself.

Ownership of titles is dependent on a decryption key, or "Ticket", that is permanently installed to your Wii when you purchase a game. After that, the Wii Shop Channel will allow you to download that file as many times as you want as long as you have the ticket. If you delete your Shop account or format the Wii, etc, you lose those tickets and all of your games with them.

Tickets are needed to decrypt the files from the NUS. You can download games without having a remaining ticket, but good luck trying to actually run them without being able to decrypt it.

This system is well documented on WiiBrew: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ticket
Ah, I had assumed it was tied to the console ID

Reactions: bonkmaykr

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will old WADs be available for download or would that be too much of a copyright ticking time bomb? This is Abandonware after all, it's not like the developers are making money off these games, nor Nintendo.

Some of these games need a bigger audience. FAST Racing League, for instance. I don't condone piracy by any means, but if it'll help expose good games to more people when they need it most then I'm absolutely for it, for preservation sake.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You need to look up the definition of "abandonware." This is not abandonware, and you have no idea what those devs intend to do with those game nor what Nintendo's plans are. And for the record, most things that people call "abandonware" are anything but. They are just trying to justify theft.

• Sad
Reactions: bonkmaykr

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Someone else recently asked me the same thing on discord, see screenshot for my general response :)

Screenshot_20230302_233028_com.discord.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: