Hacking Anyone working on a Super Mario Galaxy Level Editor?

dartdude6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone working on a Super Mario Galaxy Level Editor? As one of the most popular Wii games and considering I'm not the only one who thinks that this would be a good idea, someone should start developing one. Considering the success of the Reggie! Level editor for NSMBW and projects like Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, it would be great to have something like this for Galaxy. Considering I'm going to want to play more Galaxy after the release of SMG2 in May, it would be great to play some more even after I finish 2, especially since we most likely won't see a Super Mario Galaxy 3 for a LONG time (if ever).

And yes, I know that someone isn't going to develop one just because I by myself am requesting one. I'm just trying to make a topic showing that I'm not the only one who would want something like this and if a Wii hack coder sees that enough people want this, then maybe there's hope.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going from a 2D game to a 3D game is a lot more complicated than simply swapping some game files and code. You'd need a gigantic texture editor for something like a SMG editor.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Level editing in a 3D game is a lot harder then in 2D games - that's why most of the level editors for games are for 2D games or racers - they're totally fixed, compared to 3D. I think someone might've done one for Mario 64, but other then that, nada.

LegoMyFoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Treeki mentioned somewhere that he is working on an editor for SMG2. I have high hopes for him cause i don't recall Treeki ever failing us before.
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want a level editor, start reverse engineering the levels. I'm assuming that they are made up of models, textures and some sort of script with objectives etc. Depending on how the later is done, it may not even be possible.

But try reverse engineering as much of levels as you can, perhaps try modifying some see if you can get a slightly edited level working, then move on to more advanced. Once you've got it done, present your findings and hopefully someone with programming skill will make a level editor out of it
smile.gif

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
LegoMyFoot said:
Actually Treeki mentioned somewhere that he is working on an editor for SMG2. I have high hopes for him cause i don't recall Treeki ever failing us before.
smile.gif
Nope. I was working on a save editor, but I never got around to finishing it because I had more important things to work on (mostly hacks for Newer SMBW).

Given enough time, I could probably write a working level editor -- but I know nothing about 3D. I already reverse-engineered the format used for most of the data files in the game (the .bcsv files, plus many others which don't have extensions) but I'd also need to be able to display (and possibly edit) the J3D models files.

In addition, I'd need to figure out what all the different files in the level archives do, and how levels are built up - I can read them (and I have names for most of the pieces of data in the files) but the names aren't really very specific. It's really not worth my time right now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water