change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to help, that'd be nice. I don't even have the book, and definitely haven't finished it. I've been answering some of the questions using online copies of the book and cliff notes. It's hard though. So if you have read the book and want to help that would be awesome. I'm now on number 23.

QUOTE said:
STAVE ONE:

1. What must a “stave” be?
2. Dickens makes direct reference to which literary device in paragraph 2?
3. What does he suggest as the more appropriate comparison?
4. You can tell by the third paragraph that Scrooge and the narrator are not the same person. Who is the narrator?
5. To what work does the author allude in paragraph 4?
6. Consider the sentence: “He carried his own low temperature always about him; he iced the office in the dogdays, and didn’t thaw it one degree at Christmas.” Explain how this one sentence could summarize the entire story.
7. What is personified in the third paragraph on page 2?
8. What is the first bit of dialogue we hear from Scrooge’s mouth?
9. The constant response, “Good afternoon” to the nephew’s repeated requests indicates that Scrooge wants what?
10. Scrooge refers the needs of the poor to what two social institutions?
11. What, declares Scrooge, is none of his business?
12. What is personified by the “chattering teeth”?
13. The ice is called ______ ice because it causes scorn for mankind.
14. Dickens’ style includes the use of incomplete sentences such as: “foggier yet, and colder! Piercing, searching, biting cold” What effect do such sentences yield? Or, why is their use appropriate in this instance?
15. Scrooge asks his worker if he will, “want all day to-morrow”? What does that mean?
16. Literally, Scrooge lives where?
17. Metaphorically, how might he live the same way?
18. What happened to the door knocker?
19. What indication do we have that the door knocker incident has Scrooge operating differently than usual?
20. Scrooge explains that he doubts his senses because they can be affected by what?
21. The chain about the ghost of Marley is made of what? How is that significant?
22. What is a better word for “significant” in question number twenty-one?
symbolic
23. Why was the ghost wearing a bandage around his head?
24. What, according to Dickens, can keep a spirit from having to wander on Earth after death?
25. The ghost says that Scrooge’s chain is even heavier than his. What does this mean?
26. Scrooge’s habit of putting his hands in his pockets could be symbolically interpreted. So, go ahead
and do it! (symbolically interpret it, not put your hands in your pockets)
27. The ghost explains that his business in life should have been what?
28. Where have we heard this before?
29. What does Dickens define as the misery of the phantoms?

STAVE II
30. Who is standing in spirit at our elbows as we read?
31. Do you believe that? Explain why or why not.
32. What does the first ghost have streaming from its head?
33. Employ symbolic criticism with that detail.
34. What is capricious about this ghost?Â
35. Why do you think Scrooge longs to have the ghost remove its cap?
36. In the sentence, “The ghost donned its cap,” what does “don” mean?
37. What was upon Scrooge’s cheek as he saw the place where he had grown up?
38. Who is sitting alone reading by a feeble fire?
39. What is Scrooge’s first admitted regret?
40. What a glorious simile! The fiddler came in and tuned like fifty stomach-aches. HA HA. Write “that’s a good one” and get this question right.
41. Dickens directly addresses the reader in a friendly way when he says that if we know higher _____ we can tell him and he’ll use it in this story.
42. To say that Fezziwig could “wink with his legs” is to describe his dancing as __________.
43. The ghost does not come right out and preach to Scrooge. Instead he uses whose words to prove his points?
44. Scrooge says he would like to talk to the clerk right now. What do you think he would say?
45. What “idol” of the heart has replaced the young girl?
46. Dickens states that he should have liked, “t o have had the lightest license of a child, and yet been man enough to know its value.” Describe what qualities a person of this kind would have.
47. What is the topic of conversation at Belle’s house which has Scrooge increasingly uncomfortable?

STAVE III
48. It is described that Scrooge was so prepared for anything that he was virtually unprepared for ________ and, therefore, fell into a fit of trembling when he met with it.
49. The second ghost is of what stature?
50. What does the ghost sprinkle from his torch?
51. To whose home is Scrooge led?
52. What is Dickens’ intent in telling us that Mrs. Cratchit and her daughter are “brave in ribbons”?
53. It’s a technique of novelists to employ a character who can serve as the antithesis (complete opposite) of the main character. Who might this be for this story?
54. The second ghost threw Scrooge’s words back at him to prove a point. What words came back to haunt Scrooge at the Cratchitt visit?
55. What does it mean that Peter Cratchitt likely ”knew the inside of a pawnbrokers”?
56. What do you suppose was the ghost’s purpose in taking Scrooge out to sea?
57. What was special about that particular game of Blind Man’s Bluff?
58. What comes out from beneath the robes of the Ghost of Christmas Present?
59. Once again, the ghosts employ the trick of using Scrooge’s words to prove a point. When Scrooge asks if the children have any recourse, the ghost replies, “_________”?

STAVE IV
60. Describe the appearance of the final ghost.
61. What does this appearance remind you of?
62. Whose bed curtains and blankets did the lady take?
63. Scrooge longs to find a person who feels ________ about the death of the man who lies dead.
64. And when the ghost succeeded in showing him that, what emotion was revealed?
65. Why might it be appropriate that the third ghost does not speak?

zeppo

change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm now on 28, and can't figure that one out at all. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to answer to it. Not sure if my answer to 27 was right either.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Off topic?

In the Testing Area?

Nowaiz!
laugh.gif

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
“But you were always a good man of business, Jacob,” faltered Scrooge, who now began to apply this to himself.

“Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

It held up its chain at arm’s length, as if that were the cause of all its unavailing grief, and flung it heavily upon the ground again.

“At this time of the rolling year,” the spectre said, “I suffer most. Why did I walk through crowds of fellow-beings with my eyes turned down, and never raise them to that blessed Star which led the Wise Men to a poor abode! Were there no poor homes to which its light would have conducted me!”

Thats the answer to 27, now go read. It's a fairly good book.

zeppo

change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In there I see what the ghost's business WAS, but not what it SHOULD HAVE BEEN...

Thanks, though. Also, do you know "where we heard this before"?

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, I was too vague.

“But you were always a good man of business, Jacob,” faltered Scrooge, who now began to apply this to himself.

“Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

It held up its chain at arm’s length, as if that were the cause of all its unavailing grief, and flung it heavily upon the ground again.

“At this time of the rolling year,” the spectre said, “I suffer most. Why did I walk through crowds of fellow-beings with my eyes turned down, and never raise them to that blessed Star which led the Wise Men to a poor abode! Were there no poor homes to which its light would have conducted me!”

The bold section is a stated regret. Marley was a man just like scrooge; driven by greed. He now regrets this, saying, "The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!” He is telling us that He ignored the greater business of a pure life in favor of profit.

And with that I'm done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.