Anyone who plays TGC?

Fabax01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dunno if this is the right section, bbut
I got into the drug that MtG is. I'm also an avid Pokemon TGC and Duel Masters player.
Also I dropped yugi years ago, do you recomend getting into it again?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to see a TGC that is both a good game and not a money extraction method via artificial scarcity or some similar method (new cards overpowering old and thus forcing constant (paid) upgrades or something). MTG is probably the best of those three mentioned, though by no means good. While I have not gone deep for yugioh and pokemon I have occasionally gone through rules, maths/game theory and games themselves when people want to hack the computer game forms of them, fundamentally broken or generally without play worth anything is how I would characterise those. I will not begrudge people it but if you are playing it because you like the idea of the complexity theoretically involved

I am not sure what I can suggest for similar levels of complexity in computer games right now actually but still is a TCG or similar (I would usually look to board games here). Maybe I will go have a look.

Reactions: Fabax01

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean TCG :P

Yes I've played most of them pokemon was my first then went to YGO and lastly MTG which I play digital (no more cards to loose or get stolen) I've been playing YGO more than mtg think like 6 years and mtg I've been on and off now for 5(?) I want to say.

I believe out of the three MTG stands out more but barely these days as wotc seems to have run out of ideas with making new fresh and keeping interesting storylines in a 'cut short' state. I hear the same for ygo as of late since everything was xyz/sychros now has become pendium (sp?) creatures and more luck based too then again ygo has always been luck more than skill with deck making in the recent years.

I have to say I like MTG more overall as a tcg and competitive metagame.

Fabax01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You mean TCG :P

Yes I've played most of them pokemon was my first then went to YGO and lastly MTG which I play digital (no more cards to loose or get stolen) I've been playing YGO more than mtg think like 6 years and mtg I've been on and off now for 5(?) I want to say.

I believe out of the three MTG stands out more but barely these days as wotc seems to have run out of ideas with making new fresh and keeping interesting storylines in a 'cut short' state. I hear the same for ygo as of late since everything was xyz/sychros now has become pendium (sp?) creatures and more luck based too then again ygo has always been luck more than skill with deck making in the recent years.

I have to say I like MTG more overall as a tcg and competitive metagame.
Didn't saw the typo :c
Yeah, YGO has became a mess of OTK and speed. My control deck can't survive a duel, i tried playing with an online simulator and got OTK :c

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to do Neopets , Dual Masters, Pokemon, and dabbled abit in yugioh but stopped when i realized they were really made to steal money from stupid kids like me although something i will buy a pack for the art of Pokemon cards.

D

Deleted User

I don't do TCG. Never have and never wanted to. But it's nice to collect them imo. I have some amazing ones that I like to look at and would be nice to sell if times get rough I guess.

Crusylicious

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I never got into Magic, but I played Pokemon alot when I was younger and still think its pretty decent. I tried the Warcraft TCG and its ok, but I got over it quick. My favorite TCG is a game called The Spoils, though from what I've been reading it seems the new owners have plunged it into darkness.

I've heard great things about a game called Vs. System 2PCG. Its mostly involving marvel heroes and it doesn't have the rarity issues as each set comes with every card.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one and only TGC I play is yugioh, not because I'm a total fanboy but because that's what all my friends play. I play it a lot with them and I go to tourneys every once in a while, and I'll tell you that the game these days boils down to two things- you take control of the board and make it hard for your opponent to do anything, or you put enough high ATK monsters on board to OTK. However, there are honestly a lot of ways you can do either, and there is one factor that has recently diversified it quite a bit- a new card, called Cards of Demise, has recently been released. It's a generic draw card for decks that don't special summon a lot, and lets you draw enough traps to control the game. That alone has drawn a lot of players back to competitive play.
Besides that, yugioh is still a lot of fun, and very diverse (and yes, it does take skill if the two decks involved are on par). Most of the time, the game is like solving a puzzle. You have to figure out how to set up a good board turn one and control the game, or how to break up an opponent's board and maintain control yourself or kill them off. Deckbuilding is very much an extension of this, where you have to figure out how to consistently deal with the wide variety of decks you'll find. Pendulums, while very good at this, do not control the game, they have advantages and disadvantages like every other deck. The prominent decks you have to account for now include Kozmos, Monarchs, Demise decks, Dracopal Pendulums, Blue-eyes, Magician Pendulums, and the decks that come out in the next booster set- Subterrors, Metalfoes, and possibly Dark Magicians.
The only downside I will say is that it's expensive. A meta deck will cost you upwards of $100 dollars. However, the new Metalfoes have been announced to be a cheap rarity, so they might be affordable. There is also a very competitive variant of Monarchs, which won Nationals, that costs $30-$50. Another detrimental factor is the end of Dueling Network, the most popular simulator, after a cease and desist order
If you wanna get back in, now's a good time. The game is getting cheaper, and a new competitive season will start in August-September after Worlds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol