OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a little addicted to this series. Not that I'm like one of those Vamp Kid's from South Park
spvampire-(2).jpg

after watching Twilight (haven't seen it, btw), but True Blood is still a great series.

The series takes place in Bon Temps, Louisiana (pronounced Bon Tom). (This isn't an actual place, but there is a street named Bon Temps in Lafayette, Lousiana, where I am from.)
The show starts out with this blond girl, Sookie Stackhouse, who just so happens to be Rogue from the X-Men movies.
Interview_with_Sookie_Stackhouse.jpg
15288__rogue_l.jpg

Anyway, she's got this ability to read people's minds, and she has never had longer than a 10 minute date with any man because she can hear what they're thinking about her (which isn't anything nice, might I add). Story goes on, she saves this Vampire guy named Bill... yes... Bill the Vampire.
trueblood3.jpg

She Can't read his thoughts, so she falls in love with him...

Did I get you interested?

The season's over, but it's floating around the net if you can find it. Season 2 comes out the end of Summer 2009.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seen as I just finished the first series of Burn notice (I am leaning more and more towards only watching shows with an entire series available) I am on the lookout for things.
Not to mention HBO and Alan Ball have been responsible for some of my favourite shows these last few years so consider it on my list.

Spider-Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
I was already suggested to watch this series...I'll be getting it for sure..

This what you wrote just made me more interested into the series!

I promise you... you will enjoy every bit of it and it will make you want to read the books that started the series...

33416445.jpg

(The books are so much better than the series...
tongue.gif

I bought my set HERE.

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh man, True Blood was just awesome! one of my favorite parts was the AIDS burger scene.
it sucks that we'll have to wait til next summer for season 2 though.
mad.gif

my one complaint with the show, though, was the marketing campaign didn't do it justice, i thought. especially the "next week on TB" previews" they aired after each ep. those made it look hella dumb.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just made it through ep 10 last night, and while I don't think this is the best show in terms of HBO quality, I am really enjoying it. Some of the writing feels rather forced, but overall, it's been quite entertaining.

"...man, that thing looks like an eggplant."
laugh.gif

Spider-Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Galacta said:
Fix'd it for ya Ms. Parker!
biggrin.gif

Ha ha, thank you... I didn't have my handy Firefox to show me that I can't spell worth poo.
wtf.gif

QUOTE(Szyslak @ Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM) I just made it through ep 10 last night, and while I don't think this is the best show in terms of HBO quality, I am really enjoying it. Some of the writing feels rather forced, but overall, it's been quite entertaining.

laugh.gif

OMG... eggplant!! *snorts hysterically*

I know what you are saying about the writing. I read the books as I was watching the 1st Season (I actually started reading them around Episode 3). The books are way better, but then again, all books are better than the TV/Movie version, eh?
Alan Ball really added some stuff that wasn't even in the books to the 1st Season. I'm not complaining, though. If he hadn't added what he didn, the 1st Season would have been slow, slow, slow. Lots of people would have probably lost interest like I did with The Tudors. (Me + Boring =
gba.gif
)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spider-Girl said:
I got a little addicted to this series. Not that I'm like one of those Vamp Kid's from South Park
spvampire-(2).jpg

after watching Twilight (haven't seen it, btw), but True Blood is still a great series.

The series takes place in Bon Temps, Louisiana (pronounced Bon Tom). (This isn't an actual place, but there is a street named Bon Temps in Lafayette, Lousiana, where I am from.)
The show starts out with this blond girl, Sookie Stackhouse, who just so happens to be Rogue from the X-Men movies.
Interview_with_Sookie_Stackhouse.jpg
15288__rogue_l.jpg

Anyway, she's got this ability to read people's minds, and she has never had longer than a 10 minute date with any man because she can hear what they're thinking about her (which isn't anything nice, might I add). Story goes on, she saves this Vampire guy named Bill... yes... Bill the Vampire.
trueblood3.jpg

She Can't read his thoughts, so she falls in love with him...

Did I get you interested?

The season's over, but it's floating around the net if you can find it. Season 2 comes out the end of Summer 2009.

Not interesting.. I am not into it at all.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spider-Girl said:
Szyslak said:
I just made it through ep 10 last night, and while I don't think this is the best show in terms of HBO quality, I am really enjoying it. Some of the writing feels rather forced, but overall, it's been quite entertaining.

laugh.gif

OMG... eggplant!! *snorts hysterically*

I know what you are saying about the writing. I read the books as I was watching the 1st Season (I actually started reading them around Episode 3). The books are way better, but then again, all books are better than the TV/Movie version, eh?
Alan Ball really added some stuff that wasn't even in the books to the 1st Season. I'm not complaining, though. If he hadn't added what he didn, the 1st Season would have been slow, slow, slow. Lots of people would have probably lost interest like I did with The Tudors. (Me + Boring =
gba.gif
)
Yeah, I'm definitely planning to check the books out once I'm finished with the first season. They seem to be pretty highly recommended by most fans of the show. Can you give me an idea of how the books correlate to the TV season? i.e. Was the material in season 1 covered in the first book? First two books?

Spider-Girl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
Yeah, I'm definitely planning to check the books out once I'm finished with the first season. They seem to be pretty highly recommended by most fans of the show. Can you give me an idea of how the books correlate to the TV season? i.e. Was the material in season 1 covered in the first book? First two books?

Well, there are a bunch of things that are different in the TV series than the book...
For example:
  • Tara wasn't introduced until very late in the second book!
  • Tara's mom is not in the books.
  • Mary Anne, the maenad that took Tara in, is not how she appears in the books.
  • Bill tells Sookie how he was turned into a vampire in the books.
  • Amy, the V addict, is mentioned twice in the books. Once, very briefly, to replace Dawn and the second time
    she was mentioned because she was murdered!
These are just a few off the top of my head that I can think of at the moment. You just have to read the books!!!

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spider-Girl said:
Tara's mom is not in the books....and it should have stayed that way. Pointless family drama to fill time and give Tara some "depth". Definitely one of the forced elements I was referring to.

Spider-Girl said:
Amy, the V addict, is mentioned twice in the books. Once, very briefly, to replace Dawn and the second time
she was mentioned because she was murdered!
This, however, was a valuable contribution by the screenwriter / director. I thought the expansion into the effects of "V" was pretty cool. That's definitely a bit of a spoiler btw. Good thing I watched ep 11 last night.
wink.gif

QUOTE(Spider-Girl @ Dec 4 2008, 03:51 PM)
These are just a few off the top of my head that I can think of at the moment. You just have to read the books!!!
I was really just wondering if I could get away with buying the first one or two books, or if I should get the whole set up front. I kinda doubt my library is going to have them.

Thanks for the answer!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently looking for the books to get my V fix.
Absolutely love the show.

I really hope they bring Lafayette back, next season. He's hilarious.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished the first series, impressive although I reckon it could have done with another episode or two (it is rare that I say that about a series), if not an extra episode longer flashback sections in some cases.
Still bangsian fantasy (perhaps not the right genre) and "hidden world" fantasy are two of my favourite types.
I would have also like more exploration of the "science" behind it all (a frequent gripe of mine but not one shared by enough people for things to change in this regard).

I enjoyed it and I thank you for the suggestion, it is perhaps not enough to make me run out and pick up the books mind you. Aside from some discworld on the GBA I could never read fiction on a computer so that is probably not an option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1