PS1/2 Anyone used Verbatim Ultralife Gold Archival for PS1 backups?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone use Verbatim Ultralife Gold Archival CD-R's for PS1 backups? Supposed to outlast other CD's by decades.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-700...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Do they work as well as the Verbatim DataLifePlus for PS1 I hear recommended the most?
Long-term data storage is a complex and very interesting topic. Failing digital storage media are a big problem – especially when looking at the enormous amount of data they hold nowadays.
I'm skeptical when it comes to claims about longevity of media. "Our XYZ-super-mega-archive-thing survived in a chamber with 90°C, ultraviolet radiation and extreme humidity for the time amount of […]. This means it will last 200 years under normal conditions." This might be true or false. More important is that the console is able to read your CDs without any errors or crashes (compatibility). I've good experiences with Verbatim blanks – both with compatibility and durability (at least for about two decades, none of them got unreadable) – but they're pretty expensive. No experience with that special product you linked though.

For console games I would rather think about the durability of the lasers than the discs. PlayStation 1 consoles are mostly over twenty years old – depending on usage the lasers already failed or are about to do so.
Since the optical drives are often the first thing to give up in consoles it might be better to replace the discs with other loading methods (optical drive emulator, FMCB on PS2)

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Alexander1970

mugwort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long-term data storage is a complex and very interesting topic. Failing digital storage media are a big problem – especially when looking at the enormous amount of data they hold nowadays.
I'm skeptical when it comes to claims about longevity of media. "Our XYZ-super-mega-archive-thing survived in a chamber with 90°C, ultraviolet radiation and extreme humidity for the time amount of […]. This means it will last 200 years under normal conditions." This might be true or false. More important is that the console is able to read your CDs without any errors or crashes (compatibility). I've good experiences with Verbatim blanks – both with compatibility and durability (at least for about two decades, none of them got unreadable) – but they're pretty expensive. No experience with that special product you linked though.

For console games I would rather think about the durability of the lasers than the discs. PlayStation 1 consoles are mostly over twenty years old – depending on usage the lasers already failed or are about to do so.
Since the optical drives are often the first thing to give up in consoles it might be better to replace the discs with other loading methods (optical drive emulator, FMCB on PS2)

Good luck and have fun!

That was my original concern, to save discs, lasers and mechanics, but the two PS1 emulators on PS2 are only like 75% compatible and PSIOs are expensive and still have issues, so, right now a mix of emulators and backup discs is what I have to work with, unless I just use XEBRA on PC and find a good PS2 dual shock to PC adapter with zero lag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte