Hacking Anyone tried to install wads more than your Wii can chew?

player0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I use Wad installer, I always fear than I may install something > remaining block size in the Wii

That is to say, I am not sure if the Wad installer performs file size check before installing

So, anyone? What will happen if you single or batch install a few wads that are in fact bigger than the available memory in the Wii?

I think I should seperate the cases for 1. Wad manager and 2. Wad installer

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use WAD Manager, and it doesn't tell you how much space is left, nor does it warn you if you install something over what's available. When you exit back to the system menu, you'll be taken right to the save manager and be forced to remove some channels or saves until space is available.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I nearly borked my Wii when not counting the blocks, and getting the "no space left" error, deleting a few channels I was back in business, but for awhile I thought I was going to have to format and lose everything like my Miis.

Any chance future Wad managers will address this issue?

john25usa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ive done that twice when you get back to the system menu your wii forces you to go to the data management and delete some of them

i heard if you install way more than your wii can hold you brick your wii, cant confirm it though, but its best to be safe

testatura

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
jesterscourt said:
I thought I nearly borked my Wii when not counting the blocks, and getting the "no space left" error, deleting a few channels I was back in business, but for awhile I thought I was going to have to format and lose everything like my Miis.

Any chance future Wad managers will address this issue?
yup.. same here got quite scared for a while but I deleted few games and latter uninstaled them just in case..

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
I installed Zelda OoT and had like 250 blocks too much.
The Wii then does not boot until you free this space. I guess it uses up system memory until you delete some channels, so that's the reason you can't boot until deletion.

As I was 250 blocks "over the top", I don't think that you can brick your Wii with one single WAD. It would have to be a pretty huge WAD, and I can't think of anything bigger than Zelda OoT right now.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
tim2g said:
ive done that twice when you get back to the system menu your wii forces you to go to the data management and delete some of them

i heard if you install way more than your wii can hold you brick your wii, cant confirm it though, but its best to be safe

I highly doubt that your Wii will brick if you try to install more than what's free. Think about it... Nintendo probably has tested this over and over again.. This would be a major problem and would force either a major call back on the consoles. Or 2, a faster release for channels to be installed on the SD card. Neither has happened.

Hopefully they will release the sdcard feature soon for loading channels... I am sure we are all limited to what we put on there now a days.. Which reminds me..why the hell did they make it so small? Knowing they give us 4 screens (48 channels, give or take) and we can't come close to filling all those up with the current resources.

anomie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure they anticipated this problem and allocated space in case of over-installation...to an extent. I've had this happen a few times. I am not daring to try to install a shitload of stuff to see if it bricks the Wii though.

Jefman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Installing too many wads will Semi-Brick your Wii

I've had a few instances where I've installed too many wads. The first few times I was sent straight to the data management screen and forced to delete a few files to free up space.

But one time I installed way too many and when I restarted the Wii it came up with a corrupt files message
ohnoes.png

To fix this I went into prii loader [V.04 (E78)] and clicked on Launch title, then I clicked on homebrew. If have you an older version of Homebrew i don't think you need to use the "launch title" option, you could probably just use the "Homebre channel" option.

The next thing I did was run WAD-MANAGER ( I was using V1.7). Then I uninstalled a bunch of wads and restarted my Wii and no more corrupt msg
yay.gif

Hopes this helps someone
yaywii.gif

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jefman said:

Nice way to bump a topic from 2008.. Not really a necessary thing to do. All info in this topic is already 3 years old so anything that has been said here is probably out dated info...

-Qtis

Jefman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Qtis said:
Jefman said:

Nice way to bump a topic from 2008.. Not really a necessary thing to do. All info in this topic is already 3 years old so anything that has been said here is probably out dated info...

-Qtis
Ya but I semi bricked my Wii doing this exact thing today. Im also relatively new to this stuff, so I didn't know how to fix it. When I started searching up ways to fix it nothing much came up on installing too many wads.

On this topic everyone said that it can't brick your Wii, so to some one like me that would send them looking in the wrong place for answers on how to unbrick it (you can't troubleshoot if your given the wrong information).

So I figured why not post it here so when someone else googles this situation they don't have to do as much research as I had to do to fix their Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it