Hacking Anyone tried PS2 games on PS4?

titaniuml

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen and read about it today, but I can't find a thread about this.

I'm curious to know if anyone's tried playing PS2 games on their PS4 now? And are they in 1080p? Or still in native resolution? And how's the performance like?

I'm on about the hack btw, playing any PS2 game on PS4. Not the digital games from PSN :P

Last edited by titaniuml,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen and read about it today, but I can't find a thread about this.

I'm curious to know if anyone's tried playing PS2 games on their PS4 now? And are they in 1080p? Or still in native resolution? And how's the performance like?

I'm on about the hack btw, playing any PS2 game on PS4. Not the digital games from PSN :P
If the hack allows you to play PS2 ISOs then it wouldn't magically make them 1080p. It might make the game stretch to fit the screen, but that's not the same as 1080p. It just means you're getting a 540x400 (or something along those lines) image stretched to ugliness and back.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone
D

Deleted User

You're right, that song at the beginning was terrible. Sound is definitely bad.

hAHAHA was for a lad who watches my videos. Sadly his house burned in a fire today. Very sad. But I meant the ps2 game sound. For the op.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, the PS2 emulator on the PS4 is the same, or at least very very similar at it's core, to the one on PS3. This means enhancements likely won't exist without modifications, and compatibility will be pretty meh. I imagine some games might work better on the PS4 than PS3, but I wouldn't expect perfect compatibility for every game.

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
*sigh* so PCSX2 seems a better option? there goes my excitement.
If you have a PC that can handle PS2 emulation with enhancements, sure, and quite frankly that will always be the case with console homebrew.

If you don't, the emulation here is decent enough for at least some casual PS2 games, if you're feeling nostalgic.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you have a PC that can handle PS2 emulation with enhancements, sure, and quite frankly that will always be the case with console homebrew.

If you don't, the emulation here is decent enough for at least some casual PS2 games, if you're feeling nostalgic.
yeah, my pc fortunately is strong enough to emulate ps2. but still, I thought jailbreak will allow us to play ps2 games flawlessly on ps4. I guess it just cannot happen.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh* so PCSX2 seems a better option? there goes my excitement.

I was actually thinking this, since Linux runs on PS4, wouldn't it be better to use PCSX2 in linux?

Haven't tried to myself, but I saw that the dolphin emulator runs on PS4 Linux, so it could be possible.

**EDIT**this video shows dolphin running nicely on ps4 (so, hardware wise i think its capable)

Last edited by Kazesama,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
yeah, my pc fortunately is strong enough to emulate ps2. but still, I thought jailbreak will allow us to play ps2 games flawlessly on ps4. I guess it just cannot happen.
You have to remember that the emulator being used by these games wasn't designed with full PS2 compatibility in mind. It's not necessarily a "full fledged" emulator like PCSX2 is, it's designed so specific, official titles are playable without much modification required by the devs. This means that there will be compatibility issues, because PS2 games aren't all built the same way.

If a third party emulator, like PCSX2, made it to the PS4, then compatibility would be better. However, IMO, it's unlikely PCSX2 would perform all that well on PS4Linux for multiple reasons, the main one being it's CPU power. Unfortunately the PS4 uses an APU as it's main processor, which is totally fine for native gaming, but not so much for emulation. It's an 8 core CPU, but they're very weak cores individually. PS4 games can "even out" the performance between 6-7 cores, but Dolphin/PCSX2 are designed to run on 1-2 cores only, and unfortunately because those 1-2 cores are quite weak, more advanced emulators are going to take a big hit in performance.

Reactions: ps4temp

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was actually thinking this, since Linux runs on PS4, wouldn't it be better to use PCSX2 in linux?

Haven't tried to myself, but I saw that the dolphin emulator runs on PS4 Linux, so it could be possible.

**EDIT**this video shows dolphin running nicely on ps4 (so, hardware wise i think its capable)

whoa, that's craziest thing I have ever seen this year. I think dolphin runs quite well there. how about other retro emulators? snes9x?

D

Deleted User

meh i made the dolphin in linux video posted and I think tom bombadilo is cray cray. First off on ps3 my ps2 collection was TOP NOTCH. TOP NOTCH. I am not sure if it's because of the method I used or the rips I got but this whole "compatibility will be pretty meh" is baloney. It's a statement made by someone who didn't spend the hours I did testing. Sorry this is my actual truth and I don't want people saying stuff that they just pulled out the ether. PS3 WAS GREAT FOR PS1 and PS2 backups. Now on ps4 I agree we will need some edits or modifications or gasp sony to make a better emu file available. These things are all possible.

Frankly I find the concept of a "playstation box" quite exciting. If I can eventually run ps1 and ps2 (aaand ps3) from a usb key that would be life changing if possible. But alas the scene is young and yes both either through linux or ps4 dash ps2 is well. It's seen better days. That I will agree. Overall my experiments have been disappointing but they fill me with hope for what the future may one day bring.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
meh i made the dolphin in linux video posted and I think tom bombadilo is cray cray. First off on ps3 my ps2 collection was TOP NOTCH. TOP NOTCH. I am not sure if it's because of the method I used or the rips I got but this whole "compatibility will be pretty meh" is baloney. It's a statement made by someone who didn't spend the hours I did testing. Sorry this is my actual truth and I don't want people saying stuff that they just pulled out the ether. PS3 WAS GREAT FOR PS1 and PS2 backups. Now on ps4 I agree we will need some edits or modifications or gasp sony to make a better emu file available. These things are all possible.
If you have a BC PS3, then yes, compatibility is good. But that's because the BC PS3 had a PS2 stuffed in with the PS3 hardware. Some phats and all slims don't, and that's where the incompatibility issues crop up.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List < This is an official Classic compatibility list. It's decent, but you'll notice a lot of games don't work, and most have some kind of graphical/sound issue.

D

Deleted User

If you have a BC PS3, then yes, compatibility is good. But that's because the BC PS3 had a PS2 stuffed in with the PS3 hardware. Some phats and all slims don't, and that's where the incompatibility issues crop up.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List < This is an official Classic compatibility list. It's decent, but you'll notice a lot of games don't work, and most have some kind of graphical/sound issue.

I would call it Great. And yes you are right about the bc ps3 I did have one (but also tested on a slim which lacked that). Look I think different people have different experiences. Towards the time when I was heavy in ps3 scene I remember a huge disparity in how well some people had psp/ps2 working and this could turn into a similar situation. But just going off hardware (and let's forget the whole ps2 inside a ps3 thing which was absurd that sony did that) I think the ps4 is more than capable. But linux may not be answer initially. Now I can see a linux loader to a dope ass ps2 emu coming. Booting like a mini linux distro that just boots to pcsxr2. That I could definitely see one day long down the road as working. In the meantime I feel we just need someone to find the files that psnow uses and poof we will have better compatibility than even my beloved ps3!

maybe people just make bad pkg tried sonic unleashed and sound good vid coming soon!

Last edited by ,
Reactions: titaniuml

titaniuml

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If the hack allows you to play PS2 ISOs then it wouldn't magically make them 1080p. It might make the game stretch to fit the screen, but that's not the same as 1080p. It just means you're getting a 540x400 (or something along those lines) image stretched to ugliness and back.

sound is bad

I would call it Great. And yes you are right about the bc ps3 I did have one (but also tested on a slim which lacked that). Look I think different people have different experiences. Towards the time when I was heavy in ps3 scene I remember a huge disparity in how well some people had psp/ps2 working and this could turn into a similar situation. But just going off hardware (and let's forget the whole ps2 inside a ps3 thing which was absurd that sony did that) I think the ps4 is more than capable. But linux may not be answer initially. Now I can see a linux loader to a dope ass ps2 emu coming. Booting like a mini linux distro that just boots to pcsxr2. That I could definitely see one day long down the road as working. In the meantime I feel we just need someone to find the files that psnow uses and poof we will have better compatibility than even my beloved ps3!

maybe people just make bad pkg tried sonic unleashed and sound good vid coming soon!

These videos look higher res to me. Please keep them coming man. Thanks.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.