Anyone tried charging your WiiU pad with a USB cable?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MeowTheMouse, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MeowTheMouse
    OP

MeowTheMouse GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Been looking around the net for some USB charger to charge my pad, I don't want to use annoying power converters to charge my WiiU and being able to charge through the USB slots makes the WiiU more portable.

I found this which is high rated, but the reviews lacked info about charge time and reliability. I charge my 3DS using USB charger with my Note 2 charger which worked perfectly, but some USB charger would take ages to charge it.

Speaking of power converters, I found this which states that the US WiiU doesn't need a power converter to run on 240V, wonder if its true.

tl;dr
    Looking for a reliable USB pad charger.
    This site claims the WiiU(US) supports 240V(EU), looking for confirmations before frying my WiiU. I tested it out my self, worked flawlessly!

Thanks!

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If there is a USB charging cable that says it's for the Wii U gamepad, it'll work. Just make sure it's actually for the gamepad and not the Pro controller.
    I haven't tried it but I have USB charging cables for every handheld console I own and they all work fine.

3. MeowTheMouse
    OP

MeowTheMouse GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Thanks for the reply, I'm just worried it won't send enough power to charge up the controller. I also just tried running my WiiU with out the converter.. Worked perfectly.. sigh.. all this time and I didn't know about that :P

4. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I have a Nyko made USB charging cable for the gamepad.

I have not tried using it with the Wii U's USB ports. I have only charged my Uboost with an AC adapter with it.

You want me to test it out?

5. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I did it just fine using a Chinese cable. If anyone's interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360625151148

Not sure why it mentions being a data cable, obviously you can't use it as one but it charges my gamepad just fine

6. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Ahhh, I plug cable into outlet, long enough, does not use battery and charges at the same time.