Hacking Anyone tried bundling Wii Sports (particularly bowling) as a channel?

joda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I nowadays still play the bowling minigame of Wii Sports with buddies over a few beers quite often and realized how handy it would be to have this constantly on System Menu.

I started wondering if this would be easily possible, and found this thread which is dead since long. I haven't tried for myself yut, but as I have understood it won't Wii Sports be larger than about 200MB after being scrubbed. This would fit on the Wii (not much else though), and even moreso if all except the bowling stuff is ripped. I could live with having a stripped version of Wii Sports taking up about 40-50 megs (not more than any of the newer WiiWare titles) or so which hangs if I'm dumb enough to select anything other than Bowling from the main menu.

So my question is basically: Have anyone got any experience of converting a disc game to a usable channel?

It should be fairly straightforward since for example Wii Chess is released as a disc game in Europe whereas the entire Tsû-shin Taikyoku series in japan (Out of which Wii Chess is one) is released on WiiWare. And also World of Goo will be released here in Europe on disc whereas you Americans have it as a channel.

Meharis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
nope mate. it`s not possible @ the moment.
but to put in, the wii sports dvd to play some bowling isn`t too much to ask for, i guess

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
basically matter i think would be storage do you have any idea how big the .wad would be for a full game

only reason wii chess is able to become a channel is because when you scrubbed it down its not even 50mb...

havent dumped Wiisports but i imagine its gonna be alot bigger than 50meg...

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
i mean maybe....

if we ever get games to launch from USB HDD, then maybe a channel could launch the file of the game from the HHD however i think this is a long way off and the .iso would need to be extracted onto the drive in a folder in the style of EvoX/XBMC/AvaLaunch...however we live in hope my man, we just got a black (well, mixed race lol) president anythink is truly possible lol when TeamXecuter said they was gonna be able to launch any .xbe they wanted as a dash many people laffed...things just take time.

joda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
20clarky08 said:
basically matter i think would be storage do you have any idea how big the .wad would be for a full game

only reason wii chess is able to become a channel is because when you scrubbed it down its not even 50mb...

havent dumped Wiisports but i imagine its gonna be alot bigger than 50meg...
As mentioned in the other thread, it's about 200 megs. I realize that would be hard to fit, but as I said would I be fine with ripping out all the non bowling stuff; it's the only game we play of the five.
QUOTE(deervark @ Nov 11 2008, 02:51 PM) there is a bowling wiiware game, i haven't played it do i don't know how it compares to wiisports.
That one sucks donkey balls ...

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since I have no knowledge on making channels/ripping games I'm just going to go with your logic joda.

BAM! Mythbusters: Plausible!

But seriosuly I think it would be difficult converting part of an ISO into a dol/elf to be able to be launched from a channel. And if you were able to manage to get it chances are it wouldn't work because it is not the full game and the game becomes really buggy or you wii gives you the middle finger...it bricks during the huge installation and your left with a nice white brick..... But hey shoot for the stars!

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apologies guys - i had read on another forum that it only had 90 megs and it stuck in my mind with that - 512 is correct

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
Apologies guys - i had read on another forum that it only had 90 megs and it stuck in my mind with that - 512 is correct

if you actually play your wii and have just basic stuff on it (saves, 1-2 vc games, pictures) it probably has more like 220 megs available.

deervark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that if multi-game iso's are ever a reality for the wii, then it might be possible. i, personally, don't see that happening for a long while - if ever. we can't even get HoTD to work properly.

i kind of figured that the wiiware bowling game would be bad.

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
correct me if I am wrong, but don't wii ware/vc have a file size limit of 40 megs? I seem to remember nintendo mentioning that when wii ware went live.

but since this is nothing official maybe that could be bypassed.

Either way this doesn't seem possible AT THE MOMENT but I see it happening in the future.

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Scrubbing ONLY has an effect when the scrubbed file has been COMPRESSED, and a .rar or .zip won't function even if you were to somehow install it to your flash memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :sad::sad::sad: And a part of my family passed also. :sad::sad::sad: Sending my good suit to the...