Anyone that has been affected by a dock or left joy-con issue, did you call Nintendo?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by RemixDeluxe, Mar 14, 2017.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._dead_pixels_its_not_a_defect_claims_nintendo

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...y-con_connection_and_screen_scratching_issues

I would call and on the chance they did offer a replacement on the dock or left joy-con (are they?) would they be any better than what was originally launched? It doesnt seem like they acknowledge a problem at all and are in damage control mode. I would like a replacement dock just to ensure it doesnt get scratched in the future.

None of this would of been an issue if they used gorilla glass for their screen. Dock scratching aside, how well would it do in a drop test from shoulder length? I cant imagine well.

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    The issue with the dock could very easily be fixed by implementing some sort of soft/screen protection wall to the inner side of the dock which is in contact with the screen.
    Maybe a special kind of cloth or something that covers just that wall.

3. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I tried taping some microfiber cloth along the part that sticks out on each side but I dont feel confident in the job I did. I'll try something with velcro if I cant find any "official" solutions.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  4. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
  5. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Are you sure you dont mean female to male? male to male wouldnt make sense.

Its a nice temporary idea but I'd like to get this dock fixed so it can be used as intended. Plus being exposed like that could leave it to sunlight and dust exposure.

6. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Yeah Velcro with some sort of protective clothing might be the best option.
    I would do so too if I had the Switch right now.

Also, it amazes me to know that the did the upper part of the dock completely pointy and square instead of making some sort of diagonal cut for where the tablet screen slides in.
    Is like they didnt even bother designing the dock at all.

7. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I also read somewhere from a reddit page (unfortunately I cant find it again) that the docks used at pre launch events were different than what is now used in the final product. There are some sort of rubber bumpers along the walls and bottom which is absent from this final model. Someone even mentioned getting pictures of this as proof. I'll do my best to pull this up.

8. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Yes please, if you do find the thread and/or the images of the prototype dock, that would be great

9. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Glass screen would be a problem if the system is drop. The plastic screen will take more before it cracks.
    Also your free to buy a screen protector. A glass screen from the start would have up the price of the system and people are already complaining about the switchs price.

And putting any type of cloth on the dock is a big no no. It will get dirt in it and hold it in. Scratching the screen when you take it in and out.
    The best thing to do is use a screen protector, if it glass it will take alot more to scratch it. Also dock the switch and check how much space there is from switch to dock. Shouldnt touch if it doesnt then all is fine. If it does touch then you need a new dock or bend yours out.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  10. koziakauzu

koziakauzu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Just a screen protector, ptu or glass one, the latter won't scratch. If so just replace it. Putting extra thickness inside the dock (Velcro, "made by my girlfriend" dock sock, etc) will scratch the back of your switch.

Sent from my SM-G935K

11. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    @offtopic, i seriously tough that it was only 1 user answering itself on this topic due the avatars..., #mybad

12. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Has anyone actually measured Mohs Scale of the dock's plastic and the Switch display to verify if the dock's plastic is physically capable of scratching the display?

13. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Dead pixels being claimed as a feature and not a defect has been a thing for a long time. And not just by nintendo. It's utter bullshit.

You would think nintendo would have learned their lesson about their own product scratching screens from the o3ds issue of the system itself scratching the upper screen. Fucking unacceptable.

14. narutopet112

narutopet112 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    Didnt have a single problem with so far (except with secret browser which sometimes crashe the switch and gives an error)

15. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Sorry. Yes, you're right.

Nintendo's idea of why they used a plastic screen is because of the kids but are they forgetting the majority of their userbase are adult fans from the NES and SNES days?!

16. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Your reasoning makes even less sense. If thats the case they should do more to ensure not even kids can get it scratched but most users I hear about are adults. Having kids use this is even worse overall.

17. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Ninty went with the cheaper and more durable choice, ultimately. Not great but works.

18. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    RemixDeluxe likes this.
  19. soratheultima

soratheultima GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Has no one really thought about adding black thin electrical tape to the 4 sides that cause the scratches?
    Just cut out 4 long lines and 4 short lines. The 4 long lines go on the top four l l lines, and the small ones go under the rubber nubs.
    This keeps my switch scratch free.

Quick Edit:
    if you don't care about the back, you only need two pieces!

Last edited by soratheultima, Mar 14, 2017
  20. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Yes. #3 so pretty soft. It was in one of the initial "destroy it" videos. Not the drop test one, but the one with all hands.

Last edited by thorasgar, Mar 14, 2017
    WiiUBricker likes this.