Anyone taken serious dive into moving their PS2 collection to PS3/PS4?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by simbin, Jun 17, 2019.

1. simbin
    OP

simbin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    Anyone tried something like this on their PS2 Slim?

airdisk.
    specs.

2. dannyb1

dannyb1 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I've got a PS2 (phat) PS3 (SS) and OG PS4
    I find to play ps2 on the 3/4 is too much of a faff (fpkg building) and like the ease of just putting them on a HD and playing.
    I liked the phat PS3 as that was one console to play them all (but yes I've had quite a few go dud quick) , I use linux in PS4 to play PS1 titles as popstarter on PS2 is finiky to set up (in my experience)

3. rickwj324

rickwj324 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    My rebug PS3 slim has many PS2 iso's on it and they run fine. A good chunk of my favorite PS2 games were rolled over as HD classics for the PS3 or got official PS2 Classic releases, but for those that were never re-released on the PS3 I've made iso's and only recall a couple of them not working (Hulk Ultimate Destruction had some glitching in the backgrounds, and I'm sure there were a couple of other games that I couldn't play). For those that didn't play perfectly I just removed them, but I still have a boatload of them on the PS3 and they work great.
    My PS3 slim is probably my all-time favorite system as it has my huge library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games (1tb internal drive and 2tb external). The Wii-U is a close 2nd (having all my Wii, Gamecube, and Wii-U games on it).

Mo Poge likes this.
  4. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    I bought a PS3 just for my psx and ps2 collection!
    I'm on latest Rebug with a 1,5Tb internal storage.
    Everything runs almost perfect!

Last edited by toxic9, Jun 29, 2019
    Mo Poge and rickwj324 like this.
  5. Mo Poge

Mo Poge GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    That generation of consoles (although WiiU might be considered a half gen ahead) was and is a real workhorse. Along with my phat PS3 OG and my WiiU, my JTAG 360 has a ton of games on it. Would be nice if the current could eventually support those types of multi-generational libraries, but I'm not seeing much progress on the Xbox One side of things and the PS4 scene seems to be stuck on 5.05.

The Switch scene is really alive, but it's a different type of machine compared to the WiiU where you'd lose the ability to play all those motion-controlled games (unless someone comes up with a sensor bar hack) if it eventually allowed WiiU and Wii games on it.

rickwj324 likes this.
  6. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    In the ps3 slim boat here for ps1/ps2 gaming, don't know what your trying to play but I haven't had to many issues here, not really anything missing that makes me wish I was using the original systems, and its super nice to be able to play through all 3 generations on one system. For me PSP on PS3 has more compatibility issues, but it does work with a lot of a games, and again there's not much I feel like is a must have I am missing out on.

So for me anyway, to have 99% of what I am looking for rolled up in one convenient package is well worth the trade off of a couple of incompatible games.

Last edited by TheRealNGB, Jul 8, 2019
    rickwj324 likes this.