Anyone knowledgeable about Sega CD BIN (MIDI) music format in Rise of the Dragon?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Spikey699, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Spikey699
    OP

Spikey699 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Hey there,

This is a post about the BIN music format in the SEGA CD game Rise of the Dragon. It almost certainly hides MIDI files or a similar format, but because it's SEGA CD, and because it wasn't a huge game, there is no information about the game's formats. The main SCD forums have a ridiculous 50 post criteria so I haven't posted there, not sure where else to post to ask.

Regards,
    - Spike

2. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    It doesn't contain midi files, because if you load the disc in a cd player you can play the music.
    Most likely is that the midi files are converted to .cda at the developer.

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Do you mean the bin/cue files or a bin file inside the iso/game data?

The MCD/SCD can handle three types of audio:
    1) Audio CD
    2) PCM Samples (think Tracker or SNES)
    3) Gen/MD audio (FM + PSG)

edit:

If I'm looking at the right thing (the bin/cue format), I think they're just audio CD tracks so it should be convertible and it's not MCD/SCD/Gen specific so a generic bin/cue audio converter should work. Just be careful of 'track 1', the data track.

Last edited by tech3475, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Spikey699
    OP

Spikey699 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    No guys, I am not talking about a BIN/CUE, a different format entirely. :)

There are a couple CD audio tracks, but only a few, all introduction pieces. The rest of the game's audio is in a small BIN format, most under 50KB. About 58-60 tracks, most in the format RD01_MUS.BIN. One is attached to this post.

From tech3475's post, I'm thinking it is some similar to MIDI format, some tracker format. I noticed in Willy Beamish the files on CD are literally MIDI files though, which makes me wonder if this 'BIN' is simply a MIDI file in disguise, or whether it is converted to some PCM format. The ROTD music sounds a lot like PCM samples on the SEGA CD, so it could be MIDI or a proprietary format, but almost certainly playing PCM samples.
    See for example:

Attached Files: