Anyone Know where I can get a atari 2600 colsole for cheap? (Below 40$)

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys, Does anyone know where I can get a atari 2600 console that is below 40$?
(Online stores or other suggestions...)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, it was a long time ago. I had one since I were kid and I decided to sell it to Ebay over 12 years ago. I disliked the games but I missed the console terribly. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want a cheap 2600 in good condition, go for the 2600 Jr. - I recently bought one for pennies. It's not nearly as nice as the woodgrain finish model, but it's more recent and it will probably serve you better than the original. I know I won't be terribly original, but just go to http://www.ebay.ca/ and snipe one down at the last second. ;)

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, it was a long time ago. I had one since I were kid and I decided to sell it to Ebay over 12 years ago. I disliked the games but I missed the console terribly. :)

I never had one, but it seems like it would be fun because there is like an UNLIMITED amount of games in the library of the atari 2600!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I can't blame you. It was fun while in 1980's, thought. I hope that you found one soon. I believe Ebay have that. If you can find one then it should be at Flea Market or Pawn Shop. I cross fingers for you. Its a treasure! :D

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want a cheap 2600 in good condition, go for the 2600 Jr. - I recently bought one for pennies. It's not nearly as nice as the woodgrain finish model, but it's more recent and it will probably serve you better than the original. I know I won't be terribly original, but just go to http://www.ebay.ca/ and snipe one down at the last second. ;)

Woa, the atari jr.s seem much cheaper! Well, im not gonna buy one know, because im saving for a place im going to soon, but after that... I may get one!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are welcome, by the way. I do not like an Atari 2600 JR at all. This is one I like the best and I owned it before. Here:

atari_2600-578-80.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Woa, the atari jr.s seem much cheaper! Well, im not gonna buy one know, because im saving for a place im going to soon, but after that... I may get one!
It's also much, much more compact - one of the smallest and lightest consoles I've ever seen. It was released as a budget model stylized like the 7800. Despite its low weight it seems very sturdy and quite stylish - I like it. The only downside is that it shipped with the 7800 joysticks (or Atari gamepads in Europe, which are awesomesauce) which I don't fancy, but you shouldn't have any issues finding original 2600 ones or look-alikes, not to mention that the system will work with just about any DB9 joypad.
You are welcome, by the way. I do not like an Atari 2600 JR at all. This is one I like the best and I owned it before. Here:
The "Sixer" is indeed a true classic, but not when you're on a budget, not to mention that often times you have to tinker quite a bit with it to get it to proper working condition. It's a great piece for collectors, but an investment in and out of itself.

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's also much, much more compact - one of the smallest and lightest consoles I've ever seen. It was released as a budget model stylized like the 7800. Despite its low weight it seems very sturdy and quite stylish - I like it. The only downside is that it shipped with the 7800 joysticks (or Atari gamepads in Europe, which are awesomesauce) which I don't fancy, but you shouldn't have any issues finding original 2600 ones or look-alikes, not to mention that the system will work with just about any DB9 joypad.
The "Sixer" is indeed a true classic, but not when you're on a budget, not to mention that often times you have to tinker quite a bit with it to get it to proper working condition. It's a great piece for collectors, but an investment in and out of itself.

Yeah, I actually like the big "sixer" Better, but to me Its more about the games on the system, and the jr. doesn't look that bad at all, so I actually wouldn't care which model of the 2600s I would get.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's true about a budget tightly for some people but, if he can afford things and buy an old television that came with RF output or an adapter for it. It will be great addition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, I actually like the big "sixer" Better, but to me Its more about the games on the system, and the jr. doesn't look that bad at all, so I actually wouldn't care which model of the 2600s I would get.
Honestly? It looks much better in person than it does on photos - I don't know why. The plastic is nicely textured and thick, the metal stripe with the logo gives it a modern look and, well, you can't beat that price, can you? :P

Again though, you might want to look into the 7800's when you're actually making a purchase since they'll play more games than a standard 2600 without breaking the bank. While we're talking about additional investments, give the Harmony Cart some thought too - there's a plethora of homebrew games for the 2600, not to mention that it's just convenient to have your entire library on one cartridge.

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly? It looks much better in person than it does on photos - I don't know why. The plastic is nicely textured and thick, the metal stripe with the logo gives it a modern look and, well, you can't beat that price, can you? :P

Again though, you might want to look into the 7800's when you're actually making a purchase since they'll play more games than a standard 2600 without breaking the bank. While we're talking about additional investments, give the Harmony Cart some thought too - there's a plethora of homebrew games for the 2600, not to mention that it's just convenient to have your entire library on one cartridge.

I've heard of the harmony cart, sorta like a flash cart for the 2600! And, I do know that there are a ton of homebrews for the 2600, so, yeah, I'm definitely buying a 2600 jr. sometime this year!

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually wanted a intellivision more, but the price of them with the shipping is horrible! plus the controllers are really weird, and atari 2600 has much more games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hehe, glad to see that you're so excited about this. Lots of people declare their "love of retro", but only a fraction is willing to dig that deep to get it. There's just one thing you have to prepare for - various online videos glorify the Atari systems as the "cradle of gaming" and in a lot of ways they are just that, but you need to put your expectations bar at a sensible height.

Things will be blocky, there'll be a lot of bleeps and bloops and the best BGM's you'll encounter in official releases will probably sound like a humming vaccum cleaner. It's not "easy" to like this in this day and age, but once you go past the appearances and delve into the actual games, there is charm in this simplicity. Not so long ago I introduced my best friend to the 2600 and I have to say that we had the time of our lives and laughed our asses off playing those games - it was great fun. The result of this was a memorable quote: "Everything on Atari looks like d*cks and balls" - it bizarrely rings true, right down to the company logo. :rofl2:

Here's the game we were playing when we came up with these words of wisdom - I'm sure you'll immediately catch our drift:

Yup. D*cks and balls. :rofl2:

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hehe, glad to see that you're so excited about this. Lots of people declare their "love of retro", but only a fraction is willing to dig that deep to get it. There's just one thing you have to prepare for - various online videos glorify the Atari systems as the "cradle of gaming" and in a lot of ways they are just that, but you need to put your expectations bar at a sensible height.

Things will be blocky, there'll be a lot of bleeps and bloops and the best BGM's you'll encounter in official releases will probably sound like a humming vaccum cleaner. It's not "easy" to like this in this day and age, but once you go past the appearances and delve into the actual games, there is charm in this simplicity. Not so long ago I introduced my best friend to the 2600 and I have to say that we had the time of our lives and laughed our ass off playing those games - it was great fun. The result of this was a memorable quote: "Everything on Atari looks like d*cks and balls" - it bizarrely rings true, right down to the company logo. :rofl2:

Here's the game we were playing when we came up with these words of wisdom - I'm sure you'll immediately catch our drift:

Yup. D*cks and balls. :rofl2:

Lol, I don't care about the sound, I'm used to retro games, and I don't care about the graphics either. As long as you can make out what it is (Well, sort of, Lol) Ill probably get one in a couple of months, since i'm saving for a place i'm going to soon.

eggmanfat120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the end, I eventually ended up getting a intellivision. There is still a OK library of games, and their still fun to play! I can't show a photo because "The upload file is too large." /: The system came with 14 games: Baseball, Burgertime (The game came broken... ):(, Bump n jump, motocross, Tron the deadly discs, Auto racing, word fun, math fun, star strike, ice hockey, poker & blackjack, backgammon, armor battle and sea battle! :) Tron is probably my favorite (IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BURGERTIME!!!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.