Anyone know some legit resellers for Swap Magic?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Tyson8earzz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Tyson8earzz
    OP

Newcomer Tyson8earzz Member

United States
    Been trying to get my hands on a copy of Swap Magic (needed for playing ps2 backup's) but can't seem to find any legit sites that sell it. If I do find a site and ask more about the product, they never respond. Any ideas on where to buy a copy these days?

Thanks!

2. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Well you don't need legit sellers, all you need is a PS1 game, AR, A USB key thing (you only use like 5MB) and a download Swap Magic .elf file (or even better: ESR no swaping!) and you can softmod it!

3. Kyusuke

Newcomer Kyusuke Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    No offence but, care to explain how the independence exploit alone allows backup games to be played?

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    He put that you also need Action Replay, which is easier to find than Swap Magic. You could probably go down to an actual game shop and find it there.

5. Kyusuke

United Kingdom
    I know but he mentions a PS1 game which immediately makes me think about the independence exploit, the AR would be used to put a hacked PS2 config file, a PS1 game to run the exploit and the elf file into the USB key into order to run swap magic, which basically is useless without the disc and some tool to manually open the disc tray, unless I'm missing something here.

Otherwise, I also like to know how this ESR method works, only thing I heard is that it requires the image file to be patched before burning.

6. Jiggah

United States
    You don't need a disk to run Swap Magic that way. Once you load the ELF file, it'll act just as if you put in the Swap Magic disk, just swap in a PS2 game. This is extremely helpful for other types of back-up play like HDLoader, which also has an ELF file, so you don't ever have to put in a disk.

Also, you won't need a tool if your PS2 is one of the newer models, which are super, super easy to "mod." The newest one (V15?) is even easier than before. The tool would only be used for the older models and even then it's just taking off the faceplate for the drive which isn't that difficult, and you can make a tool out of old cards like a library/license/credit or even those fake ones they send you in the mail for credit card offers.

I think playallday posted a small guide to setting up ESR a couple of posts down.

I was using it and it was pretty awesome, but I had an old 120 gig hard drive lying around so I'm using HDLoader launched through uLauncher. I don't ever have to put a disk in to get the game started.

Edit:

A bit more on ESR. It's basically a way to trick the PS2 into thinking that the PS2 is starting a regular DVD (which is why you need the patch), which causes it to bypass the security sector.

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
  8. Kyusuke

United Kingdom
    I see, but does that mean the disc won't work if you used it on another modded PS2 or one using a swap magic because it also tricks those into thinking it's a DVD? I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Sorry to get so side tracked from the actual topic purpose in hand but there are the GBATemp recommended site links, one of the links had Swap Magic discs in stock (if your still considering swap magic that is)

9. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
  10. Jiggah

United States
    Yes. You'd need to install the softmod onto a memory card along with Free MemoryCard Boot and then use the memory card on other ps2s to boot the games.

11. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom

http://www.magicswitch.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index

these are UK sellers btw, i brought my swap magic discs from them.