Anyone know of a WiFi Connection Homebrew?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by DownwardSpyral, May 23, 2007.

May 23, 2007
  1. DownwardSpyral
    OP

Newcomer DownwardSpyral The Fastest Thing Alive

United States
    Does a homebrew app exist that will allow me to detect and set a wireless connection on my DS?

Just wondering if there is a more efficient way to set wifi data, as opposed to loading a wifi-enabled game each time I want to change wifi details.

2. hardcor

Newcomer hardcor Newbie

Canada
    Great question, I have been wondering the same thing myself, every time I load up Mario Kart to do wifi connection settings.

3. bugmenot52

bugmenot52 Newbie

I was about to ask a related question: Is there any homebrew program that allows one to manually set the Wifi connection ID? (Useful in case your DS breaks so badly you cannot use the transfer Wifi Connection ID feature to transfer it to your new DS).

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I don't know, I think I could use such a program. I don't like the idea of having to use an illegal rom each time I want to set it (I have Metroid Prime Hunters though...)

That's interesting too! I figure you could protect your DS to viruses by installing FlashMe, but your WFC-settings will be messed up I guess...

5. FrozenOne23

Member FrozenOne23 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well I doubt it, you also have to find out how to write the settings to the Nintendo DS itself like it does with Mario Kart for example.

6. bugmenot52

bugmenot52 Newbie

The settings are located in the same flash memory as the firmware. Some technical details on the format:

http://www.bottledlight.com/ds/index.php/F...re/UserSettings
    That actually gives most of the information needed to make such a program. Of course code to detect access points and test the connection (among other things) would need to be developed. I also would not be too surpised to eventually see a ROM image consisting of the official Wifi interface, having been extracted from a game. (Difficult, but certainly not impossible.)

Of course that would not allow manual editing of the Wifi Connection Id.

7. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Nintendo should have put that feature into the firmware menus.