Anyone know any good Whodunnits?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Pedeadstrian, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    For whatever reason, I've recently been in the mood to dive into a whodunnit. I've been thinking about And Then There Were None and Zero Escape 3 (and they better make it damnit), so I wanna get my mind off of it. I know Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward isn't a true whodunnit, but it definitely has the spirit of it. So anything like that would be great. It can be a tv show/anime, video game, visual novel, etc.

Oh, and before you ask why I don't just google: the first result is that tv show they made a year or two ago, and from the clips shown on The Soup, I can tell it's pretty awful. So I want an actual opinion about whatever it is.

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Ghost Trick?
    Great game with some expected and unexpected twists. Although there's almost 0 replay value since the story is completely linear.

Foxi4 likes this.
  3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Columbo always gets me good. I can never figure it out!

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There's the Ace Attorney series, which is a d'uh kind of answer. Hotel Dusk and Last Window are high among my favorites list in the genre, so check those out too. The same studio also made Another Code and Another Code R as well as another lesser known title for the DS, Again. There's also Metropolis Crimes, but I'm not sure if you'd enjoy that one. I also remember a game that would be considered shitty by today's standards, however I remember it quite fondly. It was called Case Closed and it was a board game type of an affair. Can't find any gameplay videos, so I'm assuming it was rather niche.

2ndApex, Black-Ice and Satangel like this.
  5. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    Time Holow, a DS 'visual novel' that more or less fits the criteria.
    It recieved low ratings but it's truly a great game (I don't read reviews anymore or go off ratings).

Foxi4 likes this.
  6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Are you confusing it with Wii game: Case Closed: The Mirapolis Investigation?

As far as Case Closed games go they are all pretty awful except this GBA one: Meitantei Conan: Akatsuki no Monument. Never released in English but has actually very good mystery story behind it.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No, no, no - not that Case Closed! Sorry, copy-paste derpingly formatted my post, I edited it now. :rofl2:

This one. It's old and it's one of those games you normally find in a bargain bin, but for some reason I really liked it as a kid. I mean, c'mon - it's Clue! :D

8. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Thanks to trumpet's avatar...
    Danganronpa has pretty good story and shock value too. I totally did expect the final boss.

chavosaur and Black-Ice like this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Others have taken games. I might add Discworld Noir to that but it might be kind of hard to find around you.
    TV show wise.
    Harper's Island. A nice 9 or so episode US TV show from a couple of years back. Maybe a bit more action heavy than the average whodunnit but I really liked it.

I saw they resurrected Jonathan Creek, more humour driven than action but I always liked them when I was younger and the one I caught the other day was not bad either.

Twists, turns and "one of these characters are not what they seem" are staples of the books I read but I tend not to do many straight up whodunnit books.

10. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    I would also recommend Jonathan Creek. Not only a whodunnit but also a howdahelltheydunnit tv show.

11. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Ooh, a lot of suggestions. I already played the Ace Attorney series (except for the damn untranslated ones), and I loved them. I haven't played Danganronpa yet, because I'm waiting to get a Vita first. Regarding the rest, the only one I've heard of is Ghost Trick (and Columbo of course, but I pretty much always take Gahars' posts with a grain of salt). I'll definitely check them out. Keep 'em coming!

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I just realized that I forgot to mention Heavy Rain, herp a derping. That and L.A Noire.

13. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Oh yes, Heavy Rain, except for the horrible controls, was fantastic. I totally didn't expect the villian to be who they were.

Foxi4 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It almost felt like they deliberately picked that person because it was the least likely, but somehow managed to tie all loose ends by the end of the narrative - I liked it as well. If you enjoyed Heavy Rain, you might also like Beyond: Two Souls, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Omicron: The Nomad Soul from the same studio - they have a similar feel.

15. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Danganronpa and Ace Attorney.
    The former even has a great anime accompanying it.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  16. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    DanganRonpa is one of my favorite Games of all time. When you get a Vita, absolutely make it the first game you get for it.

Danganronpa2 is coming out this fall as well~

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  17. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Get a Vita before September 2nd so you can play Danganronpa 2.

18. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls and Indigo Prophecy (although I never actually finished the latter). Never heard of Omicron, so I'll definitely have to check it out.
    If I understand correctly, though, the anime is just the same (more or less) as the game.
    Nah, first game is reserved for P4G.
    Then tell Sony to hurry up and release the new model.

Speaking of P4G, I sure hope Persona 5 continues with the murder mystery plot, maybe make it more involved.

19. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Basic story is the same as the first game, but it omits a lot of detail from the game. The anime is sloppily done and only serves as advertisement material for the game.

20. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Like movies based on video games, it's safe to assume anime based on video games suck as well. I loved Persona 4 the Animation, though.