Anyone here starting/started uni this term?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm studying Computer Science in University of Westminster in 2 weeks. It's a 50/50 (nervous and excited). A new chapter opens in my life but I am nervous and kinda worried of what happens to me!

Any tempers out here starting/started uni this term? How do you feel? I want to know
smile.gif

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is my second year but I was a little nervous my first. Also try to live in the dorms. Your first year should be easy as long as you don't over do it or party through it.

I'm also in computer science.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I already started years ago, I'm currently a 3rd year senior studying Electronic Technology but I will be going to take the LSAT and go to Law School next fall if I pass.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Started on the 24th of August. So gonna be a month soon of college for me soon. Isnt too bad just yet. Still waiting for things to get worse. lol. Luckily I made some friends off the bat. Its not cool going to a school with no body of your HS going there.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Started on the 24th of August. So gonna be a month soon of college for me soon. Isnt too bad just yet. Still waiting for things to get worse. lol. Luckily I made some friends off the bat. Its not cool going to a school with no body of your HS going there.

Trust me it can get worse, it's not cool going to a school where there's a better chance of getting straight A's than finding cute women and too many aggressive women come on I'm not really against them it's just I need someone cute and sensitive is that too tall of an order.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finished such things a couple of years ago (now just the odd postgrad course).

Some advice though
If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck in halls leave a set of clothes out on the chair as 3am fire drills (apparently setting alarms off is good humour) get cold and hanging around in a towel or your boxers does not make for a nice experience (it is sunny and so somewhat warm now but technically it is now autumn and winter is not so far away).

If you do not know how to work a washing machine or cook something beyond a sandwich you say you have two weeks until you go-> use them wisely. For the frugal cheap pasta becomes expensive pasta with the addition of a nice sauce (pesto works well and keeps damn near forever at room temperature unlike dairy/tomato based stuff).

Load up on OJ/similar these first few weeks and drink it lots; the vitamin C boost will hopefully mitigate the less enjoyable effects of freshers flu (you bring several thousand people from all over the country/world together with no sleep, a bad diet and essentially unlimited booze and all manner of interesting diseases crop up). If your MMR jabs and the like are not up to date try and get them beforehand as mumps is a horrible disease and very prevalent in university areas for some* reason, also it is very rare but learn the symptoms of meningitis anyway.

*some reason= other fools forgo such jabs becoming nice disease carriers.

By similar token the first few weeks are best described as Bacchanalian so do yourself a favour and wear a rubber (also know how to use them) to spare yourself a STD with your freshers flu. It may not happen to you but one of your friends maybe- the first girl to touch your junk is not the one so no pining as there are more.
OP specific- when attempting wenching if you want any success you are not doing computing- call it engineering, call it maths, call it a nonspecific science or something just anything but computing. On the flip side you are probably able already to wire in a network cable and the like which other people seem unable to do...... a quick and easy way to endear yourself to your neighbours (teaching them to clear their history is also a good idea).

Less specific- more sea fish in the (rearrange to form popular phrase), it applies here so if at first ....... move onto to their drunken friend.
If success arises probably best to have some tea and/or coffee around for the following morning, bacon if you are really on the ball (personally I dislike all three so change according to your whims).

I am guessing you have a new shiny laptop; buy a bike chain or better yet a proper chain and lock it up as I am guessing you do not know where things are fenced around your new place of residence. Similar idea applies to weed if that is your thing (avoid street dealers in London).

Booze- it is your friend and mortal enemy and first impressions count so learn to drink without getting drunk.

If in halls there will be cleaners- befriend them if you want but whatever you do pissing them off is not on and go out of your way to avoid it.

Your hometown- nobody gives a damn so mention it as little as possible. Same principle for A- levels. Makes conversation somewhat hard at first but there are always workarounds.

There is more but it is mainly common sense but I will say just relax and enjoy it; you have a three year work dodge coming up.

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Finished such things a couple of years ago (now just the odd postgrad course).

Some advice though
If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck in halls leave a set of clothes out on the chair as 3am fire drills (apparently setting alarms off is good humour) get cold and hanging around in a towel or your boxers does not make for a nice experience (it is sunny and so somewhat warm now but technically it is now autumn and winter is not so far away).

If you do not know how to work a washing machine or cook something beyond a sandwich you say you have two weeks until you go-> use them wisely. For the frugal cheap pasta becomes expensive pasta with the addition of a nice sauce (pesto works well and keeps damn near forever at room temperature unlike dairy/tomato based stuff).

Load up on OJ/similar these first few weeks and drink it lots; the vitamin C boost will hopefully mitigate the less enjoyable effects of freshers flu (you bring several thousand people from all over the country/world together with no sleep, a bad diet and essentially unlimited booze and all manner of interesting diseases crop up). If your MMR jabs and the like are not up to date try and get them beforehand as mumps is a horrible disease and very prevalent in university areas for some* reason, also it is very rare but learn the symptoms of meningitis anyway.

*some reason= other fools forgo such jabs becoming nice disease carriers.

By similar token the first few weeks are best described as Bacchanalian so do yourself a favour and wear a rubber (also know how to use them) to spare yourself a STD with your freshers flu. It may not happen to you but one of your friends maybe- the first girl to touch your junk is not the one so no pining as there are more.
OP specific- when attempting wenching if you want any success you are not doing computing- call it engineering, call it maths, call it a nonspecific science or something just anything but computing. On the flip side you are probably able already to wire in a network cable and the like which other people seem unable to do...... a quick and easy way to endear yourself to your neighbours (teaching them to clear their history is also a good idea).

Less specific- more sea fish in the (rearrange to form popular phrase), it applies here so if at first ....... move onto to their drunken friend.
If success arises probably best to have some tea and/or coffee around for the following morning, bacon if you are really on the ball (personally I dislike all three so change according to your whims).

I am guessing you have a new shiny laptop; buy a bike chain or better yet a proper chain and lock it up as I am guessing you do not know where things are fenced around your new place of residence. Similar idea applies to weed if that is your thing (avoid street dealers in London).

Booze- it is your friend and mortal enemy and first impressions count so learn to drink without getting drunk.

If in halls there will be cleaners- befriend them if you want but whatever you do pissing them off is not on and go out of your way to avoid it.

Your hometown- nobody gives a damn so mention it as little as possible. Same principle for A- levels. Makes conversation somewhat hard at first but there are always workarounds.

There is more but it is mainly common sense but I will say just relax and enjoy it; you have a three year work dodge coming up.
Thanks for the advice! But one thing...I'm staying at home. I know I'm missing out but I find it hard to trust people these days. Though I might move out next year, but I was told that I will miss out because on that year, people will start focusing even more academically...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.