Anyone here else think getting a mod atm is ...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Farami9, Apr 23, 2007.

Apr 23, 2007
  1. Farami9
    OP

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Heaps of people are getting mods atm and quite a few seem to be people that know very little about the mod except for the recommendation of gbatemp user. I still think that if you aren't prepared to unsolder your wii mod in the future (for the next generation of chips) then you probaly should not get a wii mod atm. I mean the system is not even a year old and online play is not confirmed yet (with a mod - not to my knowledge that is!!). I mean how much would it suck if newer games couldn't run on wiis with these mods (a new nintendo revision).... I remember my early PS2 mod it was so good in the beginning and then.....

I could be wrong, your thoughts....

2. aesthetics

Newcomer aesthetics Member

Australia
    Why not just put a mod in now and then when a mod comes out that is so much better that you just have to have it replace it. Mod chips are fairly cheap now, less that the price of a game, so why not, its only going to save you money in the long run.
    As you said your ps2 mod was so good in the beginning so why didn't you just upgrade it when a new one came out?

3. Farami9
    OP

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I cant install/uninstall chips and the people that I known who do install chips rarely want to uninstall chips...

Actually can anyone tell us how hard is it to uninstall a wii chip?? (I mean has anyone)

4. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    to unsoldier a wiikey its pretty damn easy i would have thought.

and to be honest - even if a proper mod did come out, its unlikely it would interfere with the wiikey mod if you left it in there. Im sure a proper mod would be on the motherboard and not the DVD interface.

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i would wait a good year for better mod chips to come out and of course better games

wii is still new only a handfull of game atm are a must play

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You can easily unsolder the modchip if you use wires, if you want to replace it with another. If you've used the quick solder method its more difficult to remove. I do think the new modchips will be proper mod chips and not just drive mod chips. They will probably use different soldering points as well.

7. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Well, I'm thinking of getting a modchip myself since i live in EU and all the good games (like Super Paper Mario) come out in the US first.
    And with a modchip, i can download all the games i wouldn't have bought anyway to try them and see if they're any good [​IMG]

If a new modchip comes out that is superior, i suppose my dad would be able to remove the old one since he's going to install it too [​IMG]

8. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    I got a chip, but I'm holding back from fitting it after reading the SPM problems ppl have been experiencing.
    At the moment I'm just not convinced that there are enough games I want to "acquire" to make it worth the hassle, but looking ahead at the release schedule that could all change in the next couple of months.

9. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    removing a wiikey can be tricky, but with a little flux and some desoldering braid I can make pretty short work of it. If a new chip were to come out in the future that was better than these drive chips, I think they would not even solder to the same points anyways, it will most likely connect to the mainboard somewhere.

10. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Comparing to the PS2 mod is a little like apples/oranges. The PS2 mods (barring the USB Key... which sucked) were all mobo based mods.

If you don't want to do it, then don't. For those who actually have the experience putting them in and out (relatively few), it's their choice.

11. eelw

Newcomer eelw Member

Canada
    External mod is the easiest method to remove or change to a different mod. Even though the current mod chips are "stealth", nothing beats completely removing the chip if there is any problems with online in the future.

12. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    My answer is who gives a toss about being able to play my Wii online, the whole Friend Code debacle is gunna make it more effort than fun.

I'll just stick to my 360 for playing online, which BTW is modded and plays online fine. (They have been able to for over a year now!)

13. EvoTroy

Newcomer EvoTroy Member

United States
    I did a wired install of my Wiikey. If a new "proper" mod comes out that uses different points, would I be able to just cut the wires and take out the chip rather than desoldering it? Would it be ok to just leave the wires there if I made sure they wouldn't touch anything?

14. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Its not much of a problem for me because if a snazzy new mod comes out i'll get my modder to take my cyclowiz out whilst hes installing a new one.

This is the best its gunna get for a while.

15. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

Well, you might want to continue to use a drive mod even if a better modchip comes out. For online.

16. jono_

Member jono_ GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    on the wii what are the usb ports for?

17. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Let's just hope there will be a flash method for the DVD Drive just like on the Xbox360 [​IMG] .
    I'm still not getting a Wii if there is no online-play with some sort of Gamerscore attached to it.

Q~

18. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    who knows?

a camera? maybe usb flash drives/hard drives etc

19. zalman

Newcomer zalman Advanced Member

Right now the ethernet adapter uses a USB port. That's a pretty good use.

20. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I've just sent my wii off to be chipped. Hopefully I should get it back by friday. I can see better mod chips being released that arn't drive mod chips. All most people want to do is play copied games anyway so it doesn't really matter.