Translation Anyone have any interest in Zoids Saga DS?

Anyone have any interest in this translation?

• Total voters

Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Typically I would play through the game and translate as I go, Right now I'm at that tunnel where there is no dialogue for it in the text file. So, I don't have a clue how to properly split it.
I once nearly finish the game back when I was in 7th grade and quit when fighting Rose the final boss due to her OP one hit-kill damage so I can tell that the tunnel you mentioned could mean that the Arcadia party escaped the castle through underground. The underground is easy to guess the exit with the easy enemy Zoids encounter in the map but be prepared for Blood's boss fight when you saw a metal gate or broken wall in the underground maze. Blood's Genosaurer plasma attack deal dangerous damage to Athle's Sauro Knight so I suggest putting him in the back row and make sure to save from the lowest bottom of the option in the party menu. The Sauro Knight's cannon attack from its left hand deal better damage than its bite attack cause the game nerf the damage of Zoid's physical attack including the boss's close range attack while buffing the range attack or weapon attack

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's see...after my school's mentor time, I could try translating what they are saying in the dialogue but also translate their battle's quote later

Last edited by Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen,

Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Last edited by Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen,

Twooey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I check for updates on this game once or twice a year. I imported the first part on GBA as a kid and loved it. So happy to see progress being made!

This may come in handy, it was how I played it back in the day. I know its only part of the DS game, but still. There is a Walkthrough/translation of the OG GBA Zoids saga on gamefaqs that may come in handy for you.

Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I wonder about that. I was wondering even more if he used the file containing the translated text part at the beginning of the game for Zoids Saga. Thought, not much progress is made sadly. I'm too busy to help him with the text he gave me which is supposed to be priority. Sad news but everyone will have to wait for a long time until we made a progress

CxP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just made an account to express interest in this title!

Looking forward to the day this is completed. All the best! (I've completed the game in JP and it was amazing. The quality of life changes from Zoids Legacy to this is incomparable - And the visuals and sound effects are a delight!

ZiWave

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Really looking forward to this!

And I say this on behalf of all Zoids Fans' -- We patiently wait and pray for your success!

Traceytrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi I want to help with the translation but I'm not sure where to start. I've played through the whole game three or four times and can understand and translate the entire story from Japanese to English, but I'm not sure how to actually go about finding and editing the text into English. Though I guess that's the hard part. Nevertheless I'd love to give it a shot. I'm a decently fast learner but atm I dunno where to look

Amy_Symilton_Gamequeen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi I want to help with the translation but I'm not sure where to start. I've played through the whole game three or four times and can understand and translate the entire story from Japanese to English, but I'm not sure how to actually go about finding and editing the text into English. Though I guess that's the hard part. Nevertheless I'd love to give it a shot. I'm a decently fast learner but atm I dunno where to look
You can ask @Dave_the_tired here since he was the person who started the project. I'm just helping with the text polishing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Translators and hackers (combinations of the two being basically unicorns) can be both hard to find, though it is usually translators in most circles.
That said if you have played it a few times can you sell us on it? As mentioned in the first reply I love Zoids but every time I have gone and attempted to play one of the games it is a reminder that manga/anime games are barely any better than things made for kids TV shows in the west (albeit they tend to be weak RPG/strategy/visual novel rather than weak platformer or minigame collection). If it is a good one (and it is not like giant robots RPG/strategy game is not well done elsewhere) then great. If the fix is likely to be easy enough to implement (if it is something you have seen in another hack -- stats, rewards, costs, damage calculations, level edits, menu tweaks, bug fixes... then doable enough most of the time) then it is possible to add that into the translation too, or do it as a secondary patch for the purists.
If you wanted to learn ROM hacking then I do have a guide focused on the GBA and DS https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/
I have not looked at this game yet to see what is going on. DS stuff can have trickier aspects but at the same time a lot of what makes 8-16 bit stuff hard is if not gone then massively lessened.

Speaking of Dave....wonder where he is now? He was last seen last September
Not to be too cynical but most of these things usually follow a pattern wherein a lot of enthusiasm to begin with but then an appreciation of the work required happens and things get dropped.

Traceytrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Translators and hackers (combinations of the two being basically unicorns) can be both hard to find, though it is usually translators in most circles.

I'm by no means a professional level translator or anything resembling a hacker, but I'm a CS student with coding experience, a native English speaker with an N1 in Japanese and a massive zoids fan who loves this game. I wanted to play this game for like 15 years and eventually just decided to start learning Japanese, partly just so I could play it, and it didn't disappoint.

That said if you have played it a few times can you sell us on it?

It's just like Zoids Legacy (which did receive an English release) except with more of everything: More characters and more zoids from more anime series (notably the inclusion of a Zoids: Genesis arc). Encounters are no longer random, instead they are triggered when an enemy zoid on the overworld catches you, meaning you can cleverly avoid wild encounters which were extremely annoying in older games, or you can purposely trigger an encounter with a group of zoids you are looking to gather parts/data for.

The levelling system for characters is awesome, with characters accumulating a large pool of stackable skills from which the player can choose 5 (i.e. +10%/20%/30%/40%/50% stat bonus for piloting Liger type zoids, or for being positioned in the frontline of your teams composition), and you have this level of choice for every single character as they level up.

In this game you can spend money on buffing up your zoids' stats such as speed, equip load etc as well as on levelling up their weapons. In Zoids Legacy, you could upgrade a zoid's default weaponry by a small, fixed amount that was capped pretty low, meaning that zoids with bad stats and damage were unusable later in the game since they were still awful despite being maxed out. In Zoids Saga DS however, there is no cap, you can pump as much money as you want into upgrading your starting zoid (or any other zoid that is traditionally useless but you love it anyway!) and make it into a beast. Because of this, getting money from battles never stops being exciting as you can't wait to get back to the Zoids Institute and do your upgrades.

It's a must-play for zoids fans, which makes it even more sad that it never got an English release.
If you wanted to learn ROM hacking then I do have a guide focused on the GBA and DS (link)
I have not looked at this game yet to see what is going on. DS stuff can have trickier aspects but at the same time a lot of what makes 8-16 bit stuff hard is if not gone then massively lessened.
I read the parts that seemed most relevant to me and messed around with HEX Editing some of the game's .bin files, and while it's not much of anything, I did successfully change 10 bytes of katakana into....10 bytes of kanji.

Would be nice if someone who's had a look around the game files before could help with:

1. Any idea where the script (dialogue) of the game is? I can only find item/character/zoid names and descriptions
2. Any grasp of how pointers for text is handled in this game, where they are and what they look like in hex?
3. Any idea how to decompress all the xxxxxLZ.bin files I can see in the directories?

My goal at the moment would be to just change one line of JP text into a line of English text without needing to use the exact same amount of bytes. The actual translation process would be the fun part, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty in the technical stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all