Anyone got info or more on GTA 3 for GBA?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by TanookiSuit, Apr 21, 2008.

Apr 21, 2008
  1. TanookiSuit
    OP

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    If you do a basic google search you can find spots with the long dead box art for GTA3 by Destination Software for the GBA from back around 2005 I think it was. Anyway seems that the HK pirate idiots are selling something they're calling GTA3 on ebay frequently on there.

Did someone from the company or whatever release some demo version of that dead GBA title? Did some lame HK hackers just put GTAA in a box, give it a new title screen and call it a day?

I just want to get any info on this that's possible as if by some shot there is some hack, something someone made, or whatever out there I will try and track it down out of curiousity.

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    It will be the GTA 1 release, re-boxed.

3. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    That would be a sick joke if you mean the original from Gameboy, though even repacking that hohum original the PC/PSX had wouldn't be very nice either though I suppose could be nice to have on the run in DS format if it was done decently.

4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Probably GTA Advance?
    Takes place just before III, in Liberty City (with a very similar map layout).

5. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    Well yah I was thinking that and it is possible some pirate asses are using the test art destination software put out for GTA3 DS so they can sucker idiots into GTA Advance.

That's why I'm trying to figure it out as I had(and am trying to re-get) GTAA as that game is sheer badass.

6. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    I don't think there is any way possible that the GBA could do GTA 3. It simply doesn't have the processing power necessary to do the 3D rendering, much less everything else.

7. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    I know it can't do a PS2/PC game on the GBA, but that doesn't mean someone didn't pirate hack GTA Advance with a different story or coat of paint. Also do a google search on grand theftendo (GTA3 redone for NES!) I'm just trying to get some facts if it's just a relabled GTAA or something unique some pirate slapped together.

8. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    What? Can you sell bootlegs on Ebay? Isn't that against the TOS.

Anyway, I dont know. I had long since forgotten about this game...I guess I oughta go do some research and look into it.

9. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    It's against the TOS, but ebay is too stupid to catch it or they selectively don't give a shit. Ebay GTA3 for the GBA it'll show up, if not as active use your acct login and do the 'completed' search as it will pop up.

Everyone seems stupid to them today as I see a few pop up in Gamestop's too and while some are kind of obvious (blatantly if they check em before buy turning on) most you'd really have to peek at the label or for the ÂNINTENDO 2001 on the board inside the slot.

...all I know is that basically people are whoring Grand Theft Auto 3 on ebay and elsewhere. The game uses the mock-up art that Destineer Software created for the game to have sit on websites prior to released which never happened. If you websearch you can find that image and little else other than misleading info that it exists, but nothing other than existence.

That's why I'm trying to dig up more info to find out if it's a GTAA fraud copy, stolen copy of Grandtheftendo patched on a NES emulator on a GBA cart to boot on start, those abortions the GBC had, or something else.

10. JSalcedo

Newcomer JSalcedo Member

United States
    Your best bet would be to buy it and see what it actually is. There's probably a 95% chance that it's just a bootleg version of GTA Advance though.

11. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    Which I already own so that kind of is what stopped me from gambling a buy.

12. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is GTA Advance worth playing?

13. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    To me it was yes.

Did you ever play GTA3?

This game is Liberty City in the whole all put into a top down view (which GTA3 has as a choice) whereas the entire city on GBA is done in polygonal 3D, but any moving objects (you, bullets, fire, cars, whores, etc) are all 2D sprites. This is the original GTA3 Liberty City Stories if anything as it's the same area with a side story and you even interact with a familiar face like 8ball. Controls are not spinaround crap like GTA1/2 had, it moves like GTA3 too. Game has all the goofy/cool cars, all the fire/cop/ambulence/taxi missions, rampages, etc in there, and the 100packages too. Has a pretty decent audio scoring going with a unique radio station per car type, some have a few lines of song lyrics to them too.

I'd say if you like GTA3 and want a challenging game for the GBA this game is a buy (or download if you go that way.)