Anyone Got a GB Boy Colour?

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ordered one for £12! It actually looks really good in the Youtube videos I've looked at but I was just wondering if any of you lot had one.

If you do, what do you think? Is it as good as it looks?

Finally, I'll be able to play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and see the screen properly. (I hope!)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have one... and the only bad thing about it is really the lack of backlight in the screen. Nowadays when you're used to it, it's so hard going back :) So you'll have to sit near some light (or outdoors), but it's worth it!

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you might have misunderstood. The GB Boy is a Chinese GBC clone. It has a backlight. That's why I'm so excited... A Game Boy Color compatible console with a backlight! It just seems too cool. And it was only £12 brand new!

PS: I also like that the company have actually spelled 'colour' correctly too. :P

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Frontlight modded gbc is way better than this :yay:

Reactions: DinohScene

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
probably because that solution uses an actual GBC, so you aren't dealing with emulation or a SoC solution. speaking of which, does this clone use emulation? does it accept roms or carts? does it work with flash kits like the drag n derp? i'd love to see a large majority of games tested on it to see how it actually performs.

-another world

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed, I was pretty tickled to see the British spelling of colour. It always irked me that the US spelling was used on a product sold to British children!

Anyway, the GB Boy Colour looks to be fairly compatible from what I saw in these two YT videos:

Both videos say nothing but positive things though neither show off a lot of games. I'm really interested in how games that push the 3D etc run.

theBitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GB Boy Color is a System-On-A-Chip (SoaC) clone of the Gameboy Color. The screen is backlit, the headphone jack is loud, the battery life is modest, and the screen's aspect ratio isn't perfect. On my unit, the link port doesn't work, the IR port is nonexistent, and the buttons are less than great. However, it is probably your best no-modding solution to a love for older Gameboy games with a good lit screen. Do take note that the system runs slightly faster than the original Gameboy Color, but I suspect that swapping the CPU crystals may fix it. Due to the nature of clone hardware, sound emulation. The pulse channels cannot do pitch bends, vibrato, or legato, WAV channel plays back samples a bit fuzzy. Noise channel is super loud, and a bit kickass. Source: I own one of these.

I have a front lit Gameboy Color I made and prefer to use for gaming because I make music with LSDJ on it sometimes. If you want to know how the sound compares between the GB Boy Colour and the original DMG, you can have a listen. If sound really matters to you (Pokemon games will be heavily affected by poor sound channel emulation) you may want to look into getting a frontlit Gameboy Color.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your thoughts and info theBitman I appreciate it. Maybe if I play the GB Boy enough it might warrant the price (or hassle) of a front lit GBC. It is only for playing a handful of games on so it might be okay and was super cheap.

I listened to your tracks and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I actually preferred the rougher more primitive GB Boy version! Maybe it's because I love the sounds and music of really old stuff like the Vic 20 and the Atari 26000... Maybe I'm just tone deaf!

Nice tune by the way. I'll be checking out some more later. :)

Nusdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Never seen one of those before.

I do however have a front lit GBC myself. I did custom the front light, so that it is in it's correct orientation with no annoying vertical lines in the screen when playing. Also modded the LED to a green one and a GBASP speaker. Here it is:

IMG_3501_zps619a48f2.jpg

IMG_3505_zpsb3094c08.jpg

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was almost buying one of those until I saw things related to compatibility issues. It's a SoC so obviously you'll have that. Kinda annoys me. Do tell me what you find about it when you get the thing though, I'd be more than interested. The buttons could be easilly be replaced by original GBC buttons, the worst problem here would be the compatibility.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^
Ah. That's something I never really thought about. I figured the quality of the different speakers would change but I just presumed the amplification would just be the same.

theBitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was almost buying one of those until I saw things related to compatibility issues. It's a SoC so obviously you'll have that. Kinda annoys me. Do tell me what you find about it when you get the thing though, I'd be more than interested. The buttons could be easilly be replaced by original GBC buttons, the worst problem here would be the compatibility.

Not quite true, the case and PCB are very different, and the buttons are much thicker than the GBC's. There is no easy hotswapping of any components. None.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn