Anyone good with PHP?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Bitbyte, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bitbyte
    OP

Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Basically, I have a page with a button. If a user clicks on that button, a timer has to start and after about XX seconds, a pop-up has to be shown, making it so that the user can't click on the website anymore, so, with just the pop-up focused. After another XX seconds, the pop-up will have to vanish.

Really hope someone can help me out with this, it shouldn't be that hard, but I don't know the first thing about PHP [​IMG]

2. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008

You wont be able to do that with PHP - you will need javascript and flash id think.
    most popups are blocked these days so its harder to get around them.

3. chuckstudios

chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

Jul 19, 2006
    United States
    North Carolina, USA
    You'd either need Flash or some crazy-ass z-index'ing Javascript to do this. Not PHP.

4. Bitbyte
    OP

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Yeah, been playing around with Javascript for a while, but I can't get it to stay focused though (so you can't click on the site unless you click on the pop-up).

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The question then is how secure do you want it to be (obviously not a trivial bypass) but what about someone with adblock/noscript or someone with firebug/greasemonkey who knows how to use it?

Why not go steal look at something from one of those hosting sites or a mirror site, they often redirects with a timer which would suit your needs quite well from what you say.

As for specifics I can not really help you though, web coding is not my thing.

6. chuckstudios

Jul 19, 2006
    United States
    North Carolina, USA
    If I remember I'll whip up some JS for this around 10ish. In fact, I'll leave this tab open to remind myself.

7. aerowalk

aerowalk GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2006
    you can use javascript greybox to popup other page (make sure to disable the greybox close button)
    then after x seconds, using body onload, set timeout the auto close function (refer to the api)

you need a bit knowledge of javascript though
    http://orangoo.com/labs/GreyBox/

8. Bitbyte
    OP

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Alright, thanks a lot for all the input thus far. I'll definitely look into GreyBox, that looks great [​IMG]

9. chuckstudios

Jul 19, 2006
    United States
    North Carolina, USA
    Yeah, use GreyBox. It's better than anything I would have made.

10. Bitbyte
    OP

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Hmmm, I got GreyBox installed but I can't make the close icon disappear..

*edit, Okay, I tried with the other method, I really did. But it didn't work. If someone's interested in making this, I will make it worth their while. Just PM me to get a site where you see such a script live. I just need to make something like that.

11. aerowalk

aerowalk GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2006
    comment out this line in gb_scripts.js

Code:
    // AJS.ACN(_57,btn);