Anyone familiar with the .rtex image format?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by tiduscrying, Jun 14, 2016.

1. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Hi everyone. A few friends and I were recently poking around in a game's files to see if we could translate it. The game has two main file-types that occur the most: .nut files and .rtex files. I know that .nut files can be easily edited in plain text with something like Notepad++, but have no idea how to open the .rtex files. I did some online research and saw that the file extension is associated with a program called "Rhino 3D," but after downloading it and installing it, I can see that this program isn't the one used to edit these specific files. Each time I try to open them normally, the program says it is an unknown format, and every time I try to import them and edit them in a different manner, the program posts out an error.

I am just curious if any other romhackers out there are familiar with the format. My thoughts, just coming from my other translation work with the second Taiko game for the 3DS, is that these .rtex files could be compressed, renamed, or otherwise edited versions of another file-type. But I have no idea if this is true, and I don't know how I'd go about figuring out what the original file type even is.

Any help would be super super appreciated! If we can figure out how to edit these .rtex images/textures, we could possibly start translating this game, so we really need the help!

DarkSynopsis likes this.
  2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    What's the header?

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Is the header the first line of code? If so, this is what it looks like in HxD:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    It looks like it says RTEX here as well.

Last edited by tiduscrying, Jun 15, 2016