Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so I had a weird experience today while I was getting my physical for the military at MEPS. I remember going into the little stall shaped room where they sat me down and got me ready to have my blood drawn. They tightened my bicep with a band of some sort(tourniquet?) and rubbed some type of antiseptic I guess over the area/vein before poking me with the needle. At first it seemed fine, they told me to make a fist and squeeze, I was kicking my feet back and forth and started to panic I think. Once he was finished drawing blood and had me hold down the cotton ball thing, he started asking me questions. I remember trying to answer them but it was hard to look at him, he was asking me where I was and if I felt okay. I don't really remember getting up or anything after that but I woke up to the smell of ammonia in my nose and laying down on a table with my feet elevated. I asked him what happened and he said I fainted. When I woke up I felt pretty good, my arm was really weak though and I was sweating a little bit.

I'm wondering what caused me to pass out though. I didn't really eat a big breakfast, and just before getting my blood drawn I finished my urine test. Might of been lack of fluids or sugar I think. I know I didn't see the blood getting drawn but I did watch them put in the needle. When I was in the hospital before for staph or a spider bite, I never found out what it was, they took my blood like 2-3 times a day and I never had any problems. Seems like they took more blood this time though lol.

Anyway, anyone else faint when getting blood drawn?

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Never had my blood drawn before, but I'll most likely faint...
tongue.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't experienced it, but I get a bit anxious when I think of sharp things making contact with my skin.

But that doesn't mean I have a fear of injections and stuff...

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
No man or animal has ever made me bleed.

mad.gif
For me, a chair has...it dropped on my toe and...well, I wouldn't go there (disgusting content, unless you want to know...)

Weirdly, my finger didn't bleed when I accidentally stapled it...

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
R2DJ said:
p1ngpong said:
No man or animal has ever made me bleed.

mad.gif
For me, a chair has...it dropped on my toe and...well, I wouldn't go there (disgusting content, unless you want to know...)

Weirdly, my finger didn't bleed when I accidentally stapled it...
I launched a toothpick right into my thumb by using a rubber band once, and it only bled a little. But I yelled really loudly though.
tongue.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Raika said:
I launched a toothpick right into my thumb by using a rubber band once, and it only bled a little. But I yelled really loudly though.
tongue.gif
You remind me of my childhood friend. We were playing darts and he dropped the dart on his foot and it pierced the vein in his foot. Of course it bled but it bled in an epic way. Seriously, the way the blood came out (it came out as a perfect circle of blood slowly becoming big. Surprisingly, he kept calm, even when my nan put isoproply alcohol on it.

OmerMe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Wow, never happened to me and I had my blood drawn a few times, I saw the needle go in and sometimes the blood drawn, but I never minded that. xP
And although everyone always say "eat breakfast", I don't, because it makes my stomach ache and then I'm missing a school day. ><

luke_c - Me too, never gone unconscious, I wonder what it's like, sounds weird.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
OmerMe said:
luke_c - Me too, never gone unconscious, I wonder what it's like, sounds weird.

Not nice, you feel like your ill, and then once you know if you wake up and don't even know what happened.
I still laugh at what happened when i fainted.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It could have been the lack of sleep (you probably had to get up early), and low blood pressure. And if you were nervous about giving blood, that porbably contributed. A couple people fainted when I went for my army physical (unfit for service: short sighted
nyanya.gif
). It's not unusual.

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
You're usually told to eat a large meal at least 6 hours before you get blood drawn so that you are able to withstand the loss of blood so I guess you just didn't eat enough.

I think you're right, I only had oatmeal and 2 bananas ... when I woke up I didn't really think about what was going to take place once I got there, besides a lot of waiting. Doh..

QUOTE(Veho @ Nov 24 2009, 05:22 PM) It could have been the lack of sleep (you probably had to get up early), and low blood pressure. And if you were nervous about giving blood, that porbably contributed. A couple people fainted when I went for my army physical (unfit for service: short sighted
nyanya.gif
). It's not unusual.

Yeah, I had to wake up at 4 am, 1 hour drive there. I only got about 4 hours of sleep. I don't think I was nervous until it went in, I started moving a little because of how uncomfortable it was.

I'm glad my recruiter found it funny.. this is my 3rd trip to MEPS, 4th next Tuesday. First time was for the ASVAB, second was for the physical but I was sent home because I didn't have medical reports for my skin graph on my right arm and my fractured thumb & wrist. I wasn't supposed to tell them I had anything wrong with me lol. Been over 600 miles driving back and forth, ugh!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.