Anyone ever had a deskphone that links to a doorphone?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Duo8, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Duo8
    OP

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    We have one at home, an old japanese deskphone (from the late 90s I think), and it kept thinking someone is at the door pressing the call button, then make loud ringing noises (so you can pick it up, but since the doorphone is nonexistent ...)

I can't find any documentation for this thing online, so I want to ask if anyone ever had one of these phones and whether the linking feature can be turned off, or at least how the doorphone triggers the deskphone.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    This is literally the first time I have ever heard of this concept.

Quantumcat likes this.
  3. Duo8
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    It might be a Japan only thing.
    I think these door intercoms are common there.

Last edited by Duo8, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Maybe the call is coming from...
    INSIDE THE HOUSE?
    Or it's haunted. Put a cross on it and see if it starts to smoke. I do have a question, though, are you using this phone as a landline, or is it just supposed to function as a line between a front door and itself?

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If it is 90s it might use a simple radio signal rather than a digital signal. If there is something emitting on the same band (and given there are only a handful of frequencies clear for general civilian use that is a distinct possibility) it may trigger it that way. Option 2 is I don't know Japanese telecoms that well, and I certainly don't know Vietnam's* but if there is a bell wire the door intercom might have been wired into that.

*I did a quick search while I was looking for the pinouts for wall sockets I also got a bunch of photos like
    [​IMG]
    Not a good start for standards there.

Beyond that I would want to know make and model, even if I can't find documentation there may be a similar model that can be found or even an old sales sheet.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. Duo8
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    It stops when I unplug the phone line so I don't think it's wireless. It can tell it's a doorphone so I think it's a japan thing.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Is the "deskphone" separately powered? Many phone lines include a fair amount of power to power old phones. How many connectors are on the end that goes into the wall? Apparently Japan favours the RJ11/6p2c connector of most of the rest of the world.

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Do you mean it uses the same as most of the world or a different one?
    RJ11 looks quite common to me, but is not what they use here in Germany.

9. Duo8
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    Yes. It only rings like that when plugged in.

RJ11 jack has 2 pins iirc.

10. Duo8
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    @FAST6191 Wow I totally forgot about this
    The model is Pioneer TF-JP55

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Found something for another model, no idea as to the relative vintage nor other relevant similarities, however I did find an auction https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t506441299 and yours looks like a fairly decent phone compared to some of the others in the パイオニア TF line of such phones. At time of posting there are about 12 hours to go so the seller ( https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/ju_dream_1005 ) might be able to help you if you can get them a message.
    Anyway the manual
    http://gizport.jp/manual/1797483/?id=83122&pg=95#CenterPanel
    I have the full PDF as well somehow but that there should at least get it done. For a few pages after page 95 it appears to deal with the door phone/intercom. Looks like it does it over the phone wires, in this case a 2 wire thing goes out into the world and then some 6 wire stuff happens elsewhere.

Did not get much further and it seems auction site scraper spam is worse in Japanese than it is in English which is impressive.

Edit forgot to say I did also find a picture of the plastic mould/mold for the front panel which was amusing
    https://www.makino.com/about/news/Mold-Machining-From-Cradle-to-Grave/149/

12. Duo8
    OP

Jul 16, 2013
    That seems like a much newer system though, looks like one of those with a camera. I guess out of the 6 pins the 2 that is also used for normal phone line is used as a signal line (to signal a doorphone call)
    Anyway hopefully it comes with instructions to disable the feature.