anyone else think the voice acting in other M is awful?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by DarkFocus, Aug 31, 2010.

1. DarkFocus
    OP

DarkFocus GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2009
    Canada
    I cringe when samus opens her mouth... anyone else feel that way?

2. Revolution [9]

Revolution [9] GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    It does get a bit stale. It's just so... unemotional and lifeless.

3. Kryptical

Kryptical GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    I find it okay. Her voice is more soft then the other Metroid games, which I like more. [​IMG]

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the whole game IS

5. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Undub?

Japanese voice acting in video games is usually much better.

6. xshinox

xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2007
    United States
    ^ watch that happen

7. Covarr

Covarr Sentient Cash Register

Oct 21, 2005
    United States
    Far East of Eden
    I didn't think the voice acting was too bad for the most part, except for Samus herself. Anthony was kickass.

8. Kryptical

Kryptical GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    I liked everyone's voice, especially Samus's. Off topic but what do you guys think about the gameplay?

9. toguro_max

toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2007
    Brazil
    São Vicente, Brazil
    I think Samus' voice fits her perfectly.

10. 9th_Sage

9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 30, 2008
    United States
    Actually, I'm starting to think Samus is like that on purpose. It really would make sense given who she is and what she's been through.

11. toguro_max

toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2007
    Brazil
    São Vicente, Brazil
    I've just read a inteview about the creation of Other M, and it was stated that Samus' voice tone were difficult to do this way, because the actually wanted Samus not to show much emotion through tone changing.

12. Zhelkus

Zhelkus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2009
    United States
    I think the voice acting was good. the problem to me was the director's decisions on how samus should sound. he wanted her lifeless and almost unemotional, like revolution[9] said.

the acting was good, the character wasn't. i don't like many of the changes they made with samus' character in this game. even in prime 3 where voice acting was introduced, samus was still silent... and hardly anybody saw what she looked like under the suit! wasn't it supposed to be a mystery?

and they made her short!! she was supposed to be like uma thurman! now she's like jodie foster...

13. CarbonX13

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Aug 27, 2010
    Taiwan
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I found the voice acting to be surprisingly good... there are definitely plenty of worse games in terms of voice acting out there.

14. sagewolf

sagewolf Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2010
    Thailand
    This game voice acting is good.

15. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    No. Because cringe isn't a feeling, it's an action.

16. Wombo Combo

Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

Mar 17, 2010
    United States
    The sound of the voice was fine it just needed to use a little more emotion in it.

17. warmijwilfaain

warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

Sep 30, 2007
    Kent. lolol
    It was good at doing what it tried to.

It was supposed to be dull and emotionless. That on its own fits Samus well.

18. E30Nova

E30Nova Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2009
    United States
    California
    This. Go play Chocobo's Dungeon. I can never finish that game because of the horrible, horrible voice acting.

19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I think it's perfectly fine. Samus' voice actor did great. A lot of people didn't understand the "more mature then the average Wii game" story, mood, or feel of the game. So her VA seemed wrong, but it wasn't. It was spot on.
    People are way too up their own ass with voice acting these days.
    According to nearly everyone, no voice acting has ever been good, ever.

I hate people bitching more then i'll ever hate a games voice acting itself.

People should just shut the hell up and just enjoy a game for once, instead of trying to take it down a notch for no reason whenever they feel like it. Very few people seem to be capable of this these days. It's just "bitch bitch bitch".

/rant

20. Zhelkus

Zhelkus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2009
    United States
    It's not exactly bitching, it's whining. But not everybody in this thread has criticized the acting, whose voice was done pretty well by Jessica Martin (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Jessica_Martin). The problem with this game was with the producers and director who told her how she should sound. [​IMG]

But there's also a pretty good reason to whine about voice acting. Since the psone days most games that had FMVs orginally in jap and dubbed to english were done by more jap actors and they were just rotting putrid cr@p. Honestly, the angry video game nerd couldn't think of a more vulgar way to put it than to use what he's already said. A few games today are still marred by bad vo.

And more mature? WTF??! Metroid Prime 1 was probably more mature than this! Metroid is one of the very few game franchises that by sticking to the tried and true formula can still make a great game. Thank you Nintendo for screwing it up. We still luv u btw lol k?