Anyone else think the virtual console is a ripoff?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by adgloride, Jan 23, 2007.

1. adgloride
    OP

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Some great games are on the VC but its so overpriced. About £7 or 1000 wii points for Mario 64, I could probably pick the cartridge up second hand with the box and manual for that price and play it on any of my friends consoles (Of course they need to own an N64). I would also be able to sell the game on afterwards and make some money out of it. Also with the VC version you only license the game, you don't actually own it. I think it would be a better idea for nintendo to charge a monthly fee for total access to the VC, you can also download as many games as you want to.

Something like £2 a month seems reasonable. But your renting the games, and can play them as much as you want. But if you ever stop paying the £2 you cannot play the games anymore. I'm sure a service like this would get 10 times more people interested. Nintendo would probably end up making more money out of it as well instead of being greedy. These games have already made their money for Nintendo so why charge so much?

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i also think its a ripoff and thats why i will not buy anything from the virtual console store [​IMG]

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Same here. The prices are ridiculous. I refuse to buy anything from it. [​IMG] If they dropped the prices a lot, I'm sure they'd make a lot more sales in the long run due to impulse buys.

It's not just the prices too, it's the fact that they're the same games I already own and have played a million times over already. They haven't even updated them or given them new options... just straight up emulated ROMs. When you compare it to what's available on Xbox Live - games with new modes, online play, HD graphics,.. leader boards etc... and they're EVEN CHEAPER. It's just pathetic.

I hope the Virtual Console and all of Nintendo's online features for the Wii so far are just in their infancy. They really need to sort things out if they want to compare themselves to Xbox Live.

4. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I didn't know people even gave a flying fuck about it.
    I think the VC isn't aimed at people who know how to operate a computer and use emulators; Just like iTunes is aimed at people who are too fucking stupid to use Emule, slsk, and so on.

Instead of thinking "it's a rip-off", you should rejoice, knowing that you're one step ahead of the rest of the world [​IMG]

5. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    its a con. i think they should give away a free game every month . £7 theres pl2 games going for that now.

6. inde

Newcomer inde Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    make your own virtual console on ya pc with emulators lol and get a decent control pad for em.
    i use my gamecube pad on my pc for emu's.

anyway tho seriously yeah i think the virtual console is a rip off, its like £7 for 1000 points thats 1 n64 game or 1 snes/megadrive game (cos of their awkward pricing 800 points kinda leaves you with 200 you cant do anything with) etc etc.
    prices need to be lowered, thing is i would be buying games i already paid up to £70 for before (like mario 64) so why should i pay more money again. bit of a waste of money really.

7. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I know how to use a emulator, but it's so much better to play the games on your TV with a proper controller than playing them on your PC with a keyboard. I've bought 6000 wii points already. I think the VC games are a bit expensive too, but that doesn't stop me from playing my favorite games on my TV rather than on the PC.

But i agree, a monthly fee for unlimited access would be better.

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Agreed with all the posts above mine.

9. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I think what really makes me annoyed is region exclusive VC gaming. But from what I remember, didn't they release a PC Engine game on the VC that wasn't released in the UK in the first place? Anyways, I hope that in the future, Nintendo uses VC as a way of releasing games that was once cancelled. Lord knows that the second an emulator is created for the Wii, they'll have to find another use for the VC.

10. sdoc96

Member sdoc96 Creaky Old Stiff Member

Australia
    Agreed, that they are expensive.
    Curiosity got the better of me though, so I decided to try Mario64. I just got a 3rd party GC controller (Antsig) which works perfectly with GC games on the Wii.
    Pity it doesn't work with Mario64. Just comes up with a message about needing a classic controller, unlike the VC shop that says a GC controller will work. Of course, I can't get a classic anywhere. [​IMG]
    I guess this is one of those 3rd party controller issues, but still off-putting where VC games are concerned.
    Wonder if the Wavebird I've ordered will work?

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Its worse value to us Pal users, it would be nice if they were upgraded for us instead of the black bordered slower than other region mess that we get!

Another thing that pisses me off is that last week I brought the SEGA PSP compilation for £15.99 and not only are there 30 perfect replicas of the originals, they also give you the option to play them enhanced! Theres also a museum area, hint area online mode, interviews & save anywhere.

What VC Sega games can you get for £15.99? Not 30 thats for sure, and have they been slightly enhanced for Pal users? Nope. Any extras? Nope.

I hope it improves or the prices come down a lot more, maybe they should take a look at what Xbox Live has to offer.

12. inde

Newcomer inde Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i do play them on a tv, have my pc connected to my hdtv through vga, and i used to have it connected to my old tv through s-video.
    i use the cube controller on my pc with the gamecube to pc adapter i bought a few years back, and since most vc games use either the cube pad or the vc controller anyway whats the difference :>

13. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    As much as they are expensive, I still would purchase some of them for the fact that I don't want to set up an emulator, download the ROM, establish connectivity with my TV, buy the adapter, pray to god it all works and then when I'm done, pick up my computer, bring it back to my desk.....you see my point.

14. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    hopefully we will be able to unlock a few wii points in wii games later on, or say super mario galaxy gives you a voucher for super mario all stars etc

15. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I'm not buying anything at the prices they are now.

They should bring back the Sega Channel. I had that and it was awesome.

1 monthly fee, access to tons of games.

16. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Basically. That's what the entire Classic NES series for the GBA was all about. It was easier to buy them ready-to-play, for a lot of money, then to mess with emulators, ROMs, or trying to find original cartriges, not to mention consoles...

Virtual Console is plug-and-play, and many users are just happy to be able to have all their old favourites on one card, ready to play at any moment. Ease-of-use is very important lately; the VC is easy to use, and people will pay moneyz for that.

Not us, of course, but there are 4 million Wiis out, with millions more to come, and those people are the sales target for the VC.

17. adgloride
    OP

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You can just get an xbox, softmod it, then get all the roms and emulators off the internet for nothing. Softmodding an xbox is easy to do, all you need is a memory card and a game like splinter cell. You will need a way of putting the files on the memory card but once thats done its easier to do. You can then run emulators, backups and Xbox Media Centre which will play most movie formats on your TV.

18. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    See? See? The Virtual Console is aimed at people who wouldn't know how to do all this. They are a vast majority.
    Them, and the people who don't want to have to buy an Xbox when they already have a Wii.

19. OuahOuah

Member OuahOuah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    And last but not least : using VC is LEGAL.
    Emulator + ROM (of original games you don't own) is ILLEGAL.

F***ing warezian [​IMG]

20. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Effing Warezian? I'm not paying a second, sometimes *third* time for the same game, is all. Paying for DRM'ed music is also LEGAL, but it's fucking idiotic if you ask me!

The NES classics on GBA is the epitome of how fucked in the arse the regular customer is, when a simple emulator on a lowly supercard allows for save states, speed hacks, cheat engines, the possibility to run rom hacks and different graphic modes.

Hell, why didn't Nintendo even bother to add a tunneling software that some guys on their own free time and out of their own goodwill developed like Kaillera, Zbattle, and other such software? Because they don't give a flying fuck about improving it as long as the cash cow (that means us customers) keeps allowing them to keep up with this shit.

If you want to see Nintendo put a little more thought, and work, you *need* to boycott this waste of money that the VC is. It is the *only* language a corporation understands.

Sadly, no consumer will ever understand it, with good reason.