Anyone else having trouble with Nyko Wii U pad Battery?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by drakorex, Jun 23, 2013.

1. drakorex
    OP

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    I installed it firmly, and it worked good for a while, but now it randomly shuts down. The battery life doesn't seem to be as good as it boasts either, though I haven't really timed it. I also have a Charge Station U. Before I got the nyko battery, it charged as it should, turning blue when fully charged. Now, it flashes from blue to orange. Seems like products by the same company should be compatible...

2. Warlord698

Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    United States
    yea, there have been reported issues with that, you need to contact their support and let them know. from what I hear they have been setting up to send a free replacement (as soon as the revision is finished). and then you can take back Gamestop for refund.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i was gonna get one of these but after hearing about how much trouble peeps are having with them i decided to wait for the ninty battery instead.

4. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    oh goodness. i play alot of MH3U and had ordered one from amazon due to the fact that the old battery only lasts so long.
    as for the topic on hand, i have herd some people have been haveing this issue and others not so much. i think it's a hit and miss when it comes to this issue with the battery pack.

5. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    I have one and I had issues w/ it BUT I managed to solve them: you'll have to twist the cable *at least twice* (two full rotations) and make sure the arrow on the connector is facing you--this way the cable has almost no slack and can't come loose. Give that a shot and see if it fixes it.

6. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I tried 2 of them and they didnt hold a charge. The second one I tried out of the box and the initial charge lasted a good while but after trying to recharge it once it didnt work. Nyko tech support told me its a known issue, they asked for no proof of purchase and sent me a uboost and USB charge cable free. They are supposed to send me a new power Pak once they revise the hardware. I returned mine to GameStop for a full refund.

The uboost works great. Get that.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    ninty's pack is coming out next month in japan just order it from playasia

8. Zombie_X

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I ordered the Nyko Power Pack for Wii U and had connectivity and charging issues. I solved them by sniping Nintendo's connector off and soldering it onto Nyko's leads. Works perfect now!

9. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Wow, that's crazy. I noticed nothing weird about the Nyko connector, if that is in fact the problem with the battery that is ridiculous. It's 4pins, how hard is it to make a decent connector.

But yeah I hope it keeps working for you, in my experience soldering connectors on to cables is never a good solution. The solder breaks easily but since it's inside and not moving maybe it will be fine or else you will have 2 gimpy batteries.

10. Zombie_X

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yeah it's crazy, but works like a champ now. This is faster and easier than returning it for a refund.

11. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    i was also promised a free uboost in the mail. I got the email about 1-2 weeks ago but havent received anything in the mail yet.
    Did you receive yours straight away or are you waiting like i am.

12. tronic307

tronic307 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    United States
    Call
    Is there a trick to opening it?

13. Zombie_X

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I didn't open the battery up at all but rather spliced the official connector onto the Nyko battery.

14. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I think my way is better: Call Nyko, have them send you a bunch of free stuff and get a replacement battery when they make one. That way I don't ruin my Nintendo battery for a chance at the Nyko one working.

15. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I don't remember ever getting an email but my free stuff showed up pretty quick. I think it was like 3 or 4 days after calling them.

16. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I still haven't gotten mine (got the email though), and I've been waiting a week.

17. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    I've been using my battery for about a week or two strait. No issues yet. I kinda like it very good battery life, what baffled me is the fact that there was so much room for it and Nintendo put in such a small battery.

18. Zombie_X

Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    USA
    The only reason I didn't return it as the local Gamestop I bought it from does not accept any return :(. I told them what my issue was and they said they couldn't do anything. To me that's BS.. So I emailed their corporate office directly and complained. Now we'll see what they say.

19. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    Same. Im gonna wait until the end of the week, if i dont receive or hear anything by then im gonna call their customer service.
    But keep me updated if you hear or receive anything and ill do the same.

20. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    What local gamestop is that? Sounds criminal to me, the battery is defective, they have to take it back in my view. I ordered mine online and returned it to the brick and mortar gamestop...no issues. Gamestop also offered to give me the PowerPak free after my pre-order kept getting delayed....I eventually asked for and got the Uboost for free instead. So all in all I got two Uboosts free and a USb Charging cable and I am supposed to get the revised PowerPak as well from Nyko, oh yeah and some free Wii U stylus from gamestop when they said the power pak was in and I showed up and all they had was a U boost.