Anyone else fine slowdown in sonic genesis gba?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Darigon, Aug 27, 2007.

Aug 27, 2007
  1. Darigon
    OP

Newcomer Darigon Member

United States
    topic i been wonder i wanna play the game but it slows down alot.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    This port has been widely panned, your best bet is either the master system or one of the actual sonic GBA titles.

3. Darigon
    OP

Newcomer Darigon Member

United States
    is there any emulator for ds or gba that runs sonic with sound =/.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    "Sonic Genesis GBA"? There aren't any Genesis emulators for the GBA, so I can only assume you mean using PicoDriveDS or jEnesisDS for the DS. PicoDriveDS will indeed slow down quite a bit, but the hardware renderer version of jEnesisDS should play most games at full speed. The latest version is 0.5 or something, from the Neoflash compo.

No there are none with sound, though Lordus has stated that he's working on getting PSG sound working in jEnesisDS, which should cover most Sonic sounds. Just don't bug him about it.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis was made for the GBA. It was very unoptimized and stuttered and slowed down badly. Sega should be ashamed to have released a game in such a sad state. But it does exist. I own it.....well, owned it anyway. I just have it among the 200+ GBA games on my SCminiSD now. I sold off the original cart. [​IMG]

I could have forgiven the off-key music and even the levels being out of proportion like they are, but the slowdown....in a Sonic game?!? How lame!

Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis is GBA ROM# 2586 according to GBAtemp (2580 according to another site) if you wish to punish yourself by actually attempting to play it.

I've heard that turning off the sound in the game helps the speed, but if I could tolerate playing games that way, I'd just use one of the Genesis emu's for the DS.....they have no sound.

So yes, slowdown in the GBA port of the game is (and I use this term loosely) normal. It did it on the actual production cart.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.