Anyone else experiencing in-game freezes in GTA CW?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by themario, Mar 17, 2009.

1. themario
    OP

Newcomer themario Member

United States
    These freezes happen randomly, without notice, during missions, on foot, or in a vehicle. I've experienced this problem about 5 times now and I was wondering if it was just me. I'm using a clean backup with CycloDS firmware 1.54, the same problem occurred with 1.54b3 and 1.51. I'm using a 2gb DaneElec microsd and a 1gb Sandisk. During these freezes the game stops moving but the audio continues normally.

2. Balrogs.Pain

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    thats happened to me about 4 times so far. what i do is i just restart and it works like normal. also to xxRAG3, this can happen without that much objects on the screen, like once i just walked out of my safe house and it froze.

3. xxRAG3

Member xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you sure its not overloading a lot? If theres a lot of movement onscreen (lets say you have 6 stars, and cops are just swarming the damn screen) then it might be too much to handle. If not it might be your kind of microsd's. 1-2 GB is pretty small, and they could also be a low class (classes are the speeds of which the microsd's run.)

4. IchigoK2031

Member IchigoK2031 Wannabe Shirow Miwa...

United States
    I also experienced a freeze, make sure you don't have any time or date codes used, it definitely freezes ur game sometimes

5. themario
    OP

Newcomer themario Member

United States
    I'm not using any cheats or codes.

6. xxRAG3

Member xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Try using the rom cheat for it, rather than the patched rom if your desperate enough, but you should worry about your save file then.

7. Ethanx94

Member Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I used the Arm 7 patch with a 4GB pny sdhc on 1.54b4 with no problems or very un-noticeable slow downs. I manually patched using this file http://gbatemp.net/up/gta_cw_patch.rar. See if that works any better.

8. baramos

Newcomer baramos Advanced Member

If your experiencing freezes on a freshly formatted micro sd you may just have a slow one i've had no freezes in about 10 hours of playtime but i did format the other day.

9. themario
    OP

Newcomer themario Member

United States
    Yeah I think it's my micro sd card, I tried playing it on my 1gig(which is very old) with nothing else, just the rom and the save file and it was very slow and laggy.

10. eltrut

Member eltrut GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm getting them, even with the new firmware meant to fix all the problems.

All I can say is thank god this game auto-saves!

11. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Its apparently a fragmented SD card problem. Although this isnt very confirmed yet

12. vergessen

Newcomer vergessen Advanced Member

United States
    I will toss my hat in for it being a SD problem. If it was a all around problem this forum would be filled with people having issues. I am having no problems at this point and I am about 15%(per the ingame state) completed on the game.

13. themario
    OP

Newcomer themario Member

United States
    Back up your save file often, if it freezes during an autosave you will lose your data (happened to me), I had a backup though.

14. priapism

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my game freezes and i have a brand new, recently formatted, class 6, 8GB, SDHC card. it happened twice in the first 10 minutes of gameplay and it hasn't happened since. i have been playing for an hour. i am using a clean version with no patching.

could it still be an SD card problem?

15. W.I.C.K.E.D.

Member W.I.C.K.E.D. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mine does this on random occasions too. I just tend to save frequently to make sure i don't have to redo missions or lose 20,000 i just made. I'm subscibing to this in case the issue is resolved. I think my sd cards are class 4, and if the above member has a class 6 i don't think it has to do with the sd cards. Games freeze, all the other gta games did, so why should this one be different?

16. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Yup, exact same problem. It freezes every once in a while. Sometimes more that others. It gets really annoying. One time my game froze also when I walked out of the safe house. Its really annoying though. I'll just be driving and itll just freeze and the music will start too loop. Seems to be always while I'm driving and not on a mission. I'm gunna format the memory card and see if that does it. My mem card is a 4GB SDHC Transcend Class 6.

Edit: Ok I formatted but its way worse. Although it may just be a coincidence. I seriously cant play like this though. I started the game up, started a firetruck mission , drove a ways n it froze. Turned it back on, firetruck mission, completed 1, did another froze, turned it on, did a rampage, froze. I mean WTF! I don't know what to do. Is it my sd card, the cyclo? I have no idea.

17. themario
    OP

Newcomer themario Member

United States
    Well until there's a fix for this I'll play through the freezes, I think it's a problem with certain brands of microsd cards, since a class 6 should run this with no problem.

18. Thunderboyx

Member Thunderboyx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My GTA never froze, when I'm playing, maybe its because I'm 9% done with the game?

Yea, and I'm using a patched version with a Sandisk micro sd

19. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

The freezing is caused by the auto saving feature, try turning it off and see if works.
    As for me, I had a few freezes but after updating to the latest firmware I noticed it was gone. No freezing at all, well, so far [​IMG]

20. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Turning off battery saver mode fixes freezing problems with other games, try it.