Anyone else dislike xmas?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jaxxster, Dec 23, 2007.

Dec 23, 2007

Anyone else dislike xmas? by jaxxster at 1:05 PM (3,952 Views / 0 Likes) 58 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Anyone?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes. Bah fucking humbug.

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Christmas pop songs are getting on my nerves, but apart form that, I love Christmas.

4. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I'm not as excited about Christmas as I used to be, but I don't dislike it... Why would you dislike it?

- Sam

5. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    its not that im a scrooge, its just it fucks me off how everyone seems to be so greedy and selfish and narrow minded.

What about all the people who are alone this xmas? Who are all freezing on the streets and dont have anyone to spend it with? Whilst you've got all these people inside there nice warm homes eating food that these people could only dream about.

6. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    2nd worst time of the year

7. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    1) Dont like christmas because Im forced by parents to go to church and to confession, and every one is getting something cool like psp slim or x box as present and I dont (cose my family is poor).
    2) Dont like valentines day because I dont have "my other half" (this point I added as a bonus)

8. Veho

Croatia
    And what about the rest of the year? They are hungry and poor and homeless and freezing the entire year through (okay, freezing is seasonal), and all these other people are in their nice warm (or air-conditioned) homes and eating food. Why hate only Christmas because of that? Why not hate the entire year?

9. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I hate Christmas. Not because of what it's supposed to represent (presents or J-Man, take your pick), but because it's forced down my throat whether I like it or not.

The Supermarket pipes nothing but christmas music into its little section of hell. They don't even sell toys, just food, gift cards and booze. If I worked there I might just end up killing someone after the first 24 days of Jingle Bells.

Everything is Christmas. Jews? Fuck you. Muslims? Fuck you. Athiests? Fuck you too. Merry Christmas or there's something wrong with you.

Christmas to me is a celebration of exclusion.

10. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    it's not just that, it's just everyone is so centred around spending money around this time of year they dont even stop to think about anything else apart from wasting shitloads of money for one stupid day, What if they took the time to think about trying to help out someone whos alone? Xmas is meant to be about goodwill and love but i dont see much off it all i see is pushy parents, screaming brats who moan that they didnt get whatever bullshit fad it is this year that the corporate companies can think of to drain money out of us.

Plus, like someone said, this is all a festival about some dude that probably didn't exist.

11. GrimLord

Banned GrimLord Banned

United States
    Whats the first?

12. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    I get forced to watch 'Kalle anka och hans vänner firar jul' christmas show here, which roughly translates to 'Donald duck and his friends celebrates christmas'... which I hate so bloody much.. longest 1 hour of my life and enough reason to hate christmas [​IMG]

13. Veho

Croatia
    Well of course. If you're not a lucrative market, screw you. [​IMG]

14. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow, everyone I know knows that Christmas is the best time of the year. It's a time of happiness. It only comes once a year what's the big deal??

15. Nomearod

Member Nomearod GBAtemp Regular

Portugal

[​IMG]

I know this is a cliché but Christmas is not about presents! Of course everyone like to receive expensive and cool things but it's that really that important?... Just be happy for being with your family and pass some time with your friends. You'll see that a single day with then it's by far much more important than any PSP slim or xbox that you could received.

16. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    For us it's just another day... No special feelings what so ever.
    I guess that's what you get for living in a Judeo/Muslim country [​IMG]

17. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Actually, I'll take the 360 please.
    I spend most of my life with family and friends, if I did the same on Christmas Day it would be like any other day. On the other hand, I spend most of the year wishing for material posessions, because it's hard saving up for things on a £5 a week wage. If I want something, I wait for Christmas or my birthday.

So for me, Christmas is most definitely about presents and gifts and cookies and big dinners with turkey and gravy and yorkshire puddings and those oh-so-tasty little sausages wrapped in bacon. The list could go on, but I think you get the point. [​IMG]

- Sam

18. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Tricky one this. They do go over the top, but part of living in a multicultural society includes accepting the culture of the country you're in. I don't know about the States but recently we're seeing a huge shift in the UK where elements of our own culture and customs are being suppressed so as not to offend residents from other cultures. Which seems a bit hypocritical when not taking offence at the customs of others is the whole point of being multicultural. If I lived in Israel I'd expect to be getting Hanukka "pumped down my throat", it's just the dominant culture of the place I'd be living in. I'm just saying it works both ways, that's all. Opt out in whatever ways you can, and if the people around you don't accept that then they're just idiots.

The songs wind up everyone who works in Retail. It sucks, but it could be worse (two days with 7 hours of live steel drums anyone? That wasn't a fun weekend).

19. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Last time I checked, It was actually about the winter solstice.

20. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Christmas is a bit over-fuckin' hyped.