Anyone buying an Xbox One at the end of the gen?

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
I usually buy consoles once the generation is over, unless there is something I really want to play in which case I dive in. Not only do you get everything much cheaper but all the dross has been filtered and the cream has risen to the top.

Seeing as the new Xbox is going to be here in a few I'm looking at the Xbox One at the moment and wondering if there is anything on there apart from Forza that makes it worth entertaining? Given the BC on the next it seems to make even more sense to skip the One (and its seeming lack of decent exclusives) and wait for the gen after next.

Also why are Outrun 2/2006 C2C not compatible via BC when they work on the 360? Whats up with that?

https://www.xbox.com/nl-NL/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Is there any kind of hacked/modded BC loader for the One that would allow access to more OG XBox games?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually buy consoles once the generation is over, unless there is something I really want to play in which case I dive in. Not only do you get everything much cheaper but all the dross has been filtered and the cream has risen to the top.

Seeing as the new Xbox is going to be here in a few I'm looking at the Xbox One at the moment and wondering if there is anything on there apart from Forza that makes it worth entertaining? Given the BC on the next it seems to make even more sense to skip the One (and its seeming lack of decent exclusives) and wait for the gen after next.

Also why are Outrun 2/2006 C2C not compatible via BC when they work on the 360? Whats up with that?

https://www.xbox.com/nl-NL/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Is there any kind of hacked/modded BC loader for the One that would allow access to more OG XBox games?
If you own a pc you own an xbox one and series x.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
I built a Ryzen 3000 PC just about a year ago. It came with 3 months of PC Game Pass. After that ran out I got 3 years of Ultimate live for under $5/month abusing redeeming Live subscription cards and turning auto-renewal on and off before the conversion.

I was happy with PC Game Pass, but there are a number of great games that are only playable on an Xbox One. So I saw a good deal on an XBO-X to play them. I also tried the cross-platform games that are on console and PC. The PC is a much better experience and seeing that Series X is also based around the Ryzen 3000 architecture. I can't recommend getting an Xbox One with the Series X coming out in probably 2-3 months.

The Jaguar CPU in the PS4 and XBO was built for tablets and it was slow in 2013 when those consoles came out. My 2012 PC build crushed those consoles when they were released and even the Pro and X couldn't keep up. The PS5 and Series X look like they will compete with modern $1500+ PC builds. If you don't need something right this minute and have enough to buy one at launch, waiting will keep you from kicking yourself about the wasting money when the Series X is out.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a person cares about exclusive titles and/or a game pass option, it's better to get a PS4 end of gen than a XB1. That is, if they also don't already have a PS4.

XB1 Retail Exclusives - 3
PS4 Retail Exclusives - 80

XB1 Console Game Pass (XB1 Only) - $10 /month - 244 games
XB1 Ultimate Game Pass (XB1 + PC) - $15 /month - 378 games
PS Now (PS4 + PC) - $10 /month, $60 /year - 852 games

Even if someone doesn't want a console and just wants a game pass for their PC, imo PS Now is still the far superior option.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Chains

GBAtemp Drifter
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already own a PS4 & a Switch.
I see no point getting an Xbox when I'm about to purchase a gaming laptop quite soon.

D

Deleted User

I bought one at launch and it never lived up to the Xbox 360 or even got close IMO. There's only about a dozen or so games that aren't on PS4 that are really worth it. And I finally got a gaming PC so that brings that total to like 0 or 1.

They've killed the Xbox brand IMO and it would take a lot of big new exclusives for me to buy a Xbox Series X.
Just feels like they've been mailing it in for a long time.

All of that said I still have my launch Xbox One. The only reason I have to keep it is the fact that game saves don't translate from Xbox One to PC otherwise I would have no reason to.

Last edited by ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't see much point, as there are games I need a PC for and that basically gives me access to the entire XBox One library anyway.
If a person cares about exclusive titles and/or a game pass option, it's better to get a PS4 end of gen than a XB1. That is, if they also don't already have a PS4.

XB1 Retail Exclusives - 3
PS4 Retail Exclusives - 80

XB1 Console Game Pass (XB1 Only) - $10 /month - 244 games
XB1 Ultimate Game Pass (XB1 + PC) - $15 /month - 378 games
PS Now (PS4 + PC) - $10 /month, $60 /year - 852 games

Even if someone doesn't want a console and just wants a game pass for their PC, imo PS Now is still the far superior option.
But PS Now is streaming only, which doesn't work as well, Game Pass is a much better way to do things. Actually being able to download and install the games is a large part of the appeal of Game Pass. Besides, you don't even need a PS3/PS4 to play every PS Now game, so there would be no point in buying a console for that. Also, PS Now is limited to certain regions, Game Pass seems to work worldwide.
It really depends on what games you want to play, as PS Now has a bigger library, but Game Pass is by far the better service.
I don't, hence the thread.
You can just about build a PC comparable to the XBox One X for around the same price if you shop used parts with maximum bang for the buck and not a single dollar wasted in mind, and that would be a much better purchase IMO as a PC can do so much more than a console can, and you can always upgrade the GPU later and make it more on par with the XSX.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
That's one hell of a stretch. Of course it's comparable.

No it isn't. One is a streaming service the other download. While it has its place streaming is a significantly inferior experience. There is significantly more latency and the resolution sucks. Plus if your internet is below a certain speed it is completely unplayable.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't. One is a streaming service the other download. While it has its place streaming is a significantly inferior experience. There is significantly more latency and the resolution sucks. Plus if your internet is below a certain speed it is completely unplayable.

Okay, to YOU it's not comparable. For me it is, and is also the better offering. Mkay? Thanks.

Borgman2018

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll probably do it, although the only game I'm interested in is Forza Horizon 2, I had it on the 360 but the Xbox one version is much better, also it's not available on PC.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But PS Now is streaming only,

Not true, you can download PS4 games on the PS4

Besides, you don't even need a PS3/PS4 to play every PS Now game, so there would be no point in buying a console for that.

See above.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy the Series-X don't buy the Xbox One because I made that mistake last year its better to wait to take advantage of the series-X. I'm going to use my Xbox One S for 3 more years until upgrading. For all of the guys who are saying the PC and the Xbox One is the same no it isn't. You are going to have to spend around $1500-$2000 to game on next generation standards versus just spending $500.

If you have $2000 laying around then yes buying a console would make no sense but if you are a normal person a gaming computer is out of the question and the Series-X will be better for $500 since it does cross over Xbox, 360, Xbox One, + Latest games.

PS5 doesn't even offer true BC.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I normally do end of life buying but I am not seeing the merit to an xbone.

Had a 360, still do have have a blast with it, still collecting games for it.

Granted I am equally ambivalent about the PS4.

Nintendo have not done anything worth having since the DS.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I briefly owned an Xboner when the MCC first came out, and I used it for a little bit after that (mostly for review titles, though) and then sold it to my little bro.

But I did end up picking up a "broken" Xbox One (AKA basically just needed a good thorough cleaning and a heatsink replacement) for super cheapo (like $50 total for everything) towards the end of 2019 so I could replay MCC before the PC release (to kind of compare it, I guess :P). I actually ended up using it to play a few 360 games after that, mostly Blue Dragon, which was a nice experience because I could game stream it to my laptop if my wife wanted to use the TV which actually went super well and it didn't sound like it was going to explode like it did when playing on my old phatty 360.

Honestly, it's not a bad console if you can get one for extra cheapo (like the $50 I spent) and you don't already have a PS4/gaming PC.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I considered buying a 360 last week and even went to the store, then I saw a PS3 remote in stock and bought that instead - not like I don't have enough potential TV media center systems (still have to get a 5V fan for the original xbox), unsurprisingly I'm not interested in the One (as someone who already has enough UWP compatible computers and phones!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans